Is Viva a red or yellow foot?

wolfkat

We have had conflicting thoughts either way and I just want some other opinions. I've looked at the differences so much that I honestly now see parts of each in her hahaha. I have attached a number of shots from different angles. Many of these are older shote when we first got her and she had a case of "dry head" as we called it cause our humidity levels we incorrect which we have now fixed. Also when we got her she had an awful case of shell rot which we treated and you can see cream on the sides of her shell in on if the pictures (just don't want to alarm anyone if they notice it). Her plastron is pretty scarred from that case of shell rot.

As she grows will the scarring look better (I know it will never "heal" into a smooth area agaib) but will new growth in the plastron help to make the effects not as visible?

Lastly, I keep saying she but we really have no idea! All we were told when we got her is what kind of tort the guy thought she was and that she was about a year old. About what age should I start trying to figure out if she is really a she. I feel like now is too early too tell but if anyone has any thoughts please feel free to leave them!

Thanks!
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1427879536.666917.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1427879517.391026.jpg ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1427879561.943664.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1427879620.556449.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1427879647.904413.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1427879660.744167.jpg

allegraf

10 Year Member!
Looks like a little Colombian redfoot. Way too small to accurately sex.

wolfkat

Okay thanks guys! We are thinking redfoot as well but didn't want to say just in case it would sway opinions haha

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Iowa
Redfoot. The redfoot's nose scale is solid whereas the yellowfoots is fragmented.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
As mentioned the Yellowfoot has a fragmented frontal scale, which resides in front of the prefrontal scales....where as Redfoots have shortened prefrontals and a visible frontal scale. But this is not always easy to tell.....at a quick glance. There are other "keys" to look for, such as the serrations around carapace as well as the tortoises beak.

a baby Yellowfoot

wolfkat

As mentioned the Yellowfoot has a fragmented frontal scale, which resides in front of the prefrontal scales....where as Redfoots have shortened prefrontals and a visible frontal scale. But this is not always easy to tell.....at a quick glance. There are other "keys" to look for, such as the serrations around carapace as well as the tortoises beak.

a baby Yellowfoot

Thanks! I did know about the serrations around carapace but I was unsure with Viva because unfortunately the case of shell rot she before we got her had affects some of her carapace too. You can clearly see them on that little guy though!