Is Waldo suppose to have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gulf Coast

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mississippi Gulf Coast
spurs on his back legs?

Dan ID him as a Jordanian Greek tort.. I never noticed the spurs before.. Or atleast I think those are spurs.. I am always checking over him to make sure he doesn't have any problems and I swear those spurs were not there before. lol.. but now there they are.. Maybe I haven't been paying close attention to his little bottom.. But this time when he was done with his soaking, he was clean as a whistle and the golden color of them caught my eye..

If needed I will take a picture of them tomorrow.. As he is sleeping right now. :) Also what is the spurs used for?.. They look like stingers on a bees butt.. lol..

TIA

Stazz

5 Year Member
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Wow thats interesting GulfCoast !!!
Well Tallula is a Jordanian Greek and I don't think she has spurs, but it could come with a certain age? I think Greeks are also known as Spur Thighed tortoises if I remember correctly. Or I could be taking nonsense haha, but I THINK so !!

Gulf Coast

5 Year Member
Mississippi Gulf Coast
LOL thanks Stace.. I almost want to go wake him and take a double look.. lol.. but I wont.. I will wait until tomorrow.. Meant to post this question earlier today but just getting around to it at 1 am... :p Maybe it is a age thing?? And this time google let me down.. lol.. Couldn't find the answer to my question so here I am.. Wondering if my little boy is normal for a Greek?? I sure hope so.. If not Im sure I have been doing everything wrong then. lol..

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
most greeks have spurs, but i couldnt say if your subspecies would have them, Interesting though.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Yup you are right Stace, Waldo is supposed to have spurs.

He had them in the first pictures you posted. :D No one is quite sure what they are used for, if anything.

Danny

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
egyptiandan said:
Yup you are right Stace, Waldo is supposed to have spurs.

He had them in the first pictures you posted. :D No one is quite sure what they are used for, if anything.

Danny

I always thought they were there as sort of a deterrent for whatever large carnivore was trying to chew the tortoise up. When they close up as tight as they can, all that shows are the spurs.

Yvonne

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Stace Tallula should have the spurs. All my greeks have them even when they are really tiny. Some are harder to see than others.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
The spurs aren't big enough for that Yvonne. Any big predator, like a Leopard or Lion, would just break the shell. A bird of prey would just grab a leg and pull it out or pick it up and drop it from a height to crack the shell. Those spurs wouldn't deter any predator that I know of. :)

Danny

Gulf Coast

5 Year Member
Mississippi Gulf Coast
Thanks for the replies. I was so worried.. and Dan you have one good eye!!! I even went back and checked the very first pictures I posted on here and the area where the spurs are is very blurry.. I have no clue how you saw that. lol.. You must have a gift. :)

Thanks for the links, Stace. Hmm still wondering why he has them... But happy he is normal.. :)

Stazz

5 Year Member
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Where about would I find the spurs? SO I know where to look! Maybe I have seen them, just didn't know they were spurs LOL. :D

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
I know they say the spurs on a mt. tortoise might be used for climbing they help them climb steep hills and help them from flipping, maybe greeks have the same thing going for them... or maybe its just for the cool factor, lol

Status
Not open for further replies.