Is Westland top soil safe for tortoises?

aliceG

Hey, I just bought a top soil from the diy store near me: 'B&Q' (UK store) and some regular play sand. This was the only top soil they sold there and I'm not sure of how safe it is for my tortoise. Does anyone else use this soil and if so, is it safe?
It doesn't have an ingredients label and doesn't state if anything has been added to help the growth of plants, it does say 'weed free' on the front though, can anyone help?
This is what the front cover looks like:ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1437158757.796749.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I wouldn't use "top soil" for tortoise substrate. There is no way to know what composted plants it is made of and if those plants were pesticide free when they went into the compost pile.

You should never use sand in any amount either. It is an impaction risk and possible skin and eye irritant.

I see a russian in your avatar. If you are using this for him/her, I would suggest coco coir for little ones and orchid bark for bigger ones.

Read these:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

aliceG

I wouldn't use "top soil" for tortoise substrate. There is no way to know what composted plants it is made of and if those plants were pesticide free when they went into the compost pile.

You should never use sand in any amount either. It is an impaction risk and possible skin and eye irritant.

I see a russian in your avatar. If you are using this for him/her, I would suggest coco coir for little ones and orchid bark for bigger ones.

Read these:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Yeah, that is what I was concerned of. Sorry I forgot to mention, I have a 3 year old Russian tortoise. Currently I'm not using this as a substrate, the only reason I decided I may switch to this is due to the fact the coco coir/ fibre substrate was really irritating his eyes and skin, the coconut fibre strips were sometimes going in his eyes etc. on top of this the substrate was messy. Although your saying not to use topsoil, many of the care sheets I use/read told me to use either topsoil or coco coir as it allows the tortoise to borrow (since Russians love to dig). Since he's only three, is that too young to use orchid bark also would this substrate allow him to borrow? Thanks.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Many care sheets still say to use rabbit pellets too...

Orchid bark should be fine for a three year old. Its fine for babies too, but I still prefer the coir for babies.

I'm surprised at the issues you are having with the coir. It can be messy but if properly dampened and hand packed down in a think layer, it should not be irritating his eyes or skin. I just raised 20 of them on coir for the last two years and I saw none of this. They all live outside now, but in all that time, no issues. Mine doesn't have anything I would call "strips". Are you referring to the hair like fibers that are sometimes present on some types of coco fiber? I don't use the type that has that. Hmm....

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
It says "weed free " they may have used weed killer on it before digging it up to bag ? I'd be careful of it and that's why I make my own compost , no trust ...

aliceG

Many care sheets still say to use rabbit pellets too...

Orchid bark should be fine for a three year old. Its fine for babies too, but I still prefer the coir for babies.

I'm surprised at the issues you are having with the coir. It can be messy but if properly dampened and hand packed down in a think layer, it should not be irritating his eyes or skin. I just raised 20 of them on coir for the last two years and I saw none of this. They all live outside now, but in all that time, no issues. Mine doesn't have anything I would call "strips". Are you referring to the hair like fibers that are sometimes present on some types of coco fiber? I don't use the type that has that. Hmm....

Haha I suppose you're right.
Yeah, I was using 'zoo med eco Earth' substrate and yes, I'm referring to the 'coconut hair fibres' as they often made his eyes itchy and poke at his eyes, this really stressed him out. I changed him over to a store bought substrate, only for a little while until now because I have never trusted it (it's 50-50 topsoil and sand, though it claims it has nothing like weed killer that could harm the tortoise) his eyes stopped itching etc once I used this, this is how I knew it wasn't a health related problem.
I'll maybe look into finding a coco coir with out the strips and see how he does, if not I'll take your advice and buy some of the orchid bark you recommended.
Thanks for your help!

aliceG

It says "weed free " they may have used weed killer on it before digging it up to bag ? I'd be careful of it and that's why I make my own compost , no trust ...

This is what I thought although it could also mean it doesn't have any weeds through it or is made from decomposed weeds as when I googled it this is what it said. I've decided not to use it anyways (whatever it means), thanks for your concern though!