Is White rock-lettuce (Pinaropappus roseus) edible to tortoises?

TisMary

Location (City and/or State)
New York
This plant has been growing all over my yard, so I was wondering if it was edible to my tortoise.
Hi @GingerTheRussianTortoise - thank you for being specific on the name! ? You've earned 2 Botany
points!? Do you have a picture?

I don't see that Pinaropappus roseus grows wild in your State (US Wildflower's Database of Wildflowers for North Carolina). Could it be something different? Take a look at the pictures and description here to see how your plant compares: Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center - Pinaropappus roseus. Notice in particular the "squared off" ends of the petals and snap a stem in two to see if it has a milky "sap". If those two things don't check out, then I'd say this is something else.

If this is indeed White Rocklettuce, it's part of the Dandelion Tribe in the Sunflower Family, so it should be OK. Fun fact! Sometimes this plant is called "White Dandelion" or "Pink Dandelion".

1629047934485.png

North Carolina
The flowers don't look the same. I used Seek to identify this, so I guess it wasn't accurate. What do you think this is?

Attachments

• IMG_5458.JPG
    IMG_5458.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_5459.JPG
    IMG_5459.JPG
    999.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5460.JPG
    IMG_5460.JPG
    375.5 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Are you able to get a little clearer of a photo? And a little more far away? It helps to capture both the flower and the leaves in at least one photo.

I’m no expert in plants in your area but I’d say the edges of the petals are not quite frilly enough to be a Stoke’s aster, although that is a native plant in your area.

Last edited: