ISO Tortoise in Northern Minnesota

Alison G

Location (City and/or State)
Bemidji Minnesota
Hello,

I am new to the tortoise world, but I have done my research. I would much rather adopt a tortoise than purchase one from somewhere. I live in Northern Minnesota. Any advice on where to look or is someone looking to rehome? I was hoping for a Russian or Redfoot tortoise.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Alison! Russians sometimes come up for adoption. Keep an eye on craigslist.com. Occasionally the animal shelters will get tortoises in. You can let your local shelters know you're looking for a tortoise, maybe put your name on a list.

But I think these are few and far between, and if you're really wanting a tortoise, you're probably going to have to end up buying one. We have some redfoot and russian breeders here on the Forum, but this is the wrong time of year for babies.

There are some reptile classifieds on the 'net - fauna, kingsnake, etc. Of course, as soon as you shell out some $$ to buy one, you'll probably see a bunch come up for adoption in the paper or online. (murphy's law!)

tgoodman89

Ramsey, MN
I’m looking to rehome my male Russian Tortoise who is roughly 20-25 years old. I’ve had him for almost 10 years. I recently had a baby and with my current life, I don’t have the time I used to have to interact with him. I really want him to go to someone who will take joy in having him. He’s a delight! Let me know if you’re interested.