Issues with food introduction?

Avuwyy

Location (City and/or State)
Liverpool, Merseyside
I got my first tortoise a few days ago, a Leopard, and since I got them I haven't been able to get them to eat much.

When I went to the exotics store to get said tortoise, they were eating fine out of a bowl. But since I brought them back they've been refusing to eat much, unless it is offered from my fingertip (Which has raised some issues with hand nipping since now they think my finger is also food). I asked what food they were offering at the store to the baby tortoises and all they could say was dark greens, no specifics, and so when I attempted to introduce produce such as spinach, kale, and carrot to them they turned away. They will however eat cucumber and raspberries though its not doing much for fibre, and the tortoises poo has been watery since I got them, I'm not sure how to correct this, and I'm really worried about the amount of calcium they're getting as they haven't touched the cuttle bone I left in the enclosure for them.

PS. I'm not sure what weight I should be looking out for, for a leopard tortoise which is 6-7cm in length. So I don't know if they are underweight or if I'm being too panicky and they are overweight. If any of you have any ideas on an average weight to go off of that would be amazing :(

PPS. Not linked to the title, but I'm worried about the humidity that said tortoise should receive. When doing research it said that leopard tortoises are not meant to have any sort of humidity in their habitat, the exotics store also said this. But on the forums I read that they need 50% humidity and a humidity box, and I'm not sure what to do.

(As you can tell, I'm struggling to find answers for certain subjects)

Thank you!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings

First - don’t panic too quickly over picky eating. Torts are a bit finicky when uprooted from one place to another. New food, house, keeper, etc.

Second - read the info here - https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

Theres lots of info on humidity and lighting and food and substrates...etc.

Sounds like you bought more than one? Read up on the do’s and don’ts of keeping two together.

Try to upload some pix of your enclosure and setting. Ppl can help easier. Make sure you are giving a good dail warm water soaking.

Good luck

Avuwyy

Liverpool, Merseyside
I didn’t buy two only one ;v; You could imagine the state id be in with twice the responsibility.

I give them a soak daily but it seems like all of his food isn’t digested when it comes out the other end so I’m wondering whether I’m soaking them for too long? (10-15 minutes typically in lukewarm water)

(Also Theyre surprisingly affectionate despite all of the confusion listed? I’m not sure how they managed to become so affectionate so quick?)

8B4275FD-277A-4C99-9CBA-CB339667148E.jpeg B4BA376F-E043-4F22-84A1-2215FD87A56D.jpeg 63301645-994C-4495-837D-17488EF9714A.jpeg

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I didn’t buy two only one ;v; You could imagine the state id be in with twice the responsibility.

I give them a soak daily but it seems like all of his food isn’t digested when it comes out the other end so I’m wondering whether I’m soaking them for too long? (10-15 minutes typically in lukewarm water)

(Also Theyre surprisingly affectionate despite all of the confusion listed? I’m not sure how they managed to become so affectionate so quick?)

I guess I thought more than one when I read “them” and “they’re” - but good to hear that you just have the one. 15 min soaks is fine, even longer is fine.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm confused by the plural pronoun use too, but then I guess it's easier than his/hers - not knowing the gender. I call all my babies he/his/him, it's just easier.

Please read the threads pinned at the top of our Leopard section. You'll get good info on how to set up the new baby and how to care for it. He needs to be kept at least 80F degrees all the time, day and night. And that aspen bedding needs to go! It's not a good substrate for this species.

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
All baby tortoises need humidity. For yours, to prevent pyramiding, it should have humidity no lower then 80 percent. If you are going to other sites, some vets and breeders, or pet stores for your info, don’t. Stick with this forum. Most people are giving out old info. We have species experts that have done much research and experiments in raising tortoises. They have found new ways that benefits the tortoises, specially after many years of experience. We will not give you bad info. We have the most up to date info. Read the care sheets and come back with any questions. Someone will help you. Good luck and welcome to the forum.