It has begun....outdoor enclosure build

JLM

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pensacola Florida
After months of reading posts and planning...we broke ground on the enclosure today. I'm starting this thread to track progress and get info as needed.

We had power run to that side of the house in January

It's going to be 40x8 and there will be a 4x8 night box.

This is planned for a redfoot. This is day 1...I'm so excited it's finally happening

IMG_9347.JPG IMG_9350.JPG IMG_9353.JPG

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Paris, Texas
This is great, looking forward to following! Thanks for sharing!

Reactions: JLM

Turtlesfromcolo

Colorado
Love seeing enclosures being built. Thanks for sharing your progress, can't wait to see more.

JLM

5 Year Member
Pensacola Florida
We are to the point where I'm going to start landscaping the part we have built. We'll put a temporary end on it while we finish the rest of the build and the night box. I'm starting to explore breeders in the Florida panhandle area if you have recommendations please pm me.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I love this kind of thread too. But I think you're going to be sorry you've made the 'lids' so close to the ground. You're not going to be able to freely walk in there to do anything. I made a chicken yard one time like that only it was just a bit taller. Every time I wanted to go in there to clean up the poop or feed and water, I had to walk all hunched over. And if I stayed any length of time it really hurt my back.

JLM

5 Year Member
Pensacola Florida
I love this kind of thread too. But I think you're going to be sorry you've made the 'lids' so close to the ground. You're not going to be able to freely walk in there to do anything. I made a chicken yard one time like that only it was just a bit taller. Every time I wanted to go in there to clean up the poop or feed and water, I had to walk all hunched over. And if I stayed any length of time it really hurt my back.
What do you mean? They are 4 feet off the ground and open completely. They lean on the fence while open with a safety chain to keep them from falling. It will be wide open for cleaning and landscaping needs.

JLM

5 Year Member
Pensacola Florida
I don't have any new pictures tonight but we continue to make progress after a couple weekends off due to other commitments. Tonight I filled the cinder block walks with gravel for drainage topped off with dirt to plant. I've searched the edible plants list and have come up with the following. Please let me know if you see something you wouldn't plant because I found the most recommended lists to not always match. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

These plants will be in the top of the mason block wall.

Strawberry plants
Marigolds
Sweet potatoe vine
Petunias
Creeping jenny
Lettuce mix

Around the water/pond will be sedum

Planted in the enclosure near ground level (but in pots) for shade
Hibiscus
Umbrella tree

Ground cover
Bermuda grass
Strawberry Clover

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
What species of tortoise?

In time you'll better understand why the question about lid height was put forward. The littlest inconvenience over time is a big inconvenience. BTW, why lid it at all? What are you seeking to exclude? What side is that on N, S, E, W?

Look like much work has been done and the planting sounds great. Looking forward to seeing tortoises turned loose.

JLM

5 Year Member
Pensacola Florida
I'm looking at a redfoot tortoise.

I'm in the Florida panhandle

The lids open completely so I was just trying to understand the "hunched over" comment as I can see that would be a problem which is why we did it like we did. As for the reason for the lids, I have 3 great danes in my yard that would enjoy a romp with the tortoise or to enjoy it's garden bar. As for other "wildlife" I do not want racoons, opossums, armadillos, birds of prey, or anything else hovering around. Even though I'm looking for an adult I'd rather be safe than sorry. It's quite easy to lift the lids and secure them and would only need to do so when cleaning or landscaping. The feeding station will be near the front so just one lid daily.

Thanks!

Link

East-Central Oklahoma
You are doing a fabulous job. Keep the pics coming its so much fun watching others work :)
I know you are in Florida so my question is do you have any flooding or extra rain heavy issues that may cause problems?

JLM

5 Year Member
Pensacola Florida
We've been watching how that area responds to rain. The soil is a clay/sand mix so it drains quickly but there are some soggy spots in the middle. When the build is done we are going to mix up the soil and re-slope it so it's away from the house but doesn't have the trough in the middle. We will also have a nightbox to keep him/her dry during big summer storms. Hurricane planning means putting it in the garage if necessary. We aren't normally in an evacuation zone.

JLM

5 Year Member
Pensacola Florida
More work this weekend. We see the light at the end but the temperature is already so hot it's hard to work in. The last of the lid frames are done. Just need to put the wire on them and install. Plants are planted and the pool is in. Need more rocks to finish that area. It's getting there!

IMG_9766.JPG IMG_9763.JPG

JLM

5 Year Member
Pensacola Florida
It didn't rain like it was supposed to so we were able to get the last of the lids on. Now we just need to create 2 panels to bridge the gap between the 2 levels. One will be temporary because the space will eventually have a tortoise house.

IMG_9772.JPG IMG_9777.JPG