It has begun....outdoor enclosure build

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
San Jose CA
WOW~ ~ ~ GREAT enclosure! ! !

Can wait to see the finished product......;);)

Link

East-Central Oklahoma
The amount of work you guys are putting is says how special your tortoises are to you :) I receive a lot of rain here also so I understand the need for planning for water. Luckily for me my yard is already raised almost two feet above the street level so I get great drainage and protection. I worry more about predators and neighbors kids :)

Reactions: JLM

Alicia Hoogstra

Wow! That's amazing, and I agree, the amount of time, and work, it's surly a labor of love!!

JLM

5 Year Member
Pensacola Florida
We are darn near finished with the enclosure! It's taken a ton of work but I'm happy! Need to do some minor irrigation and landscaping yet. There is one gap we need to fill also.

IMG_9815.JPG IMG_9814.JPG IMG_9811.JPG IMG_9807.JPG

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
I sense a tipping hazard on the sides of the water pond. If you could make it shallower by placing rocks in the bottom it will keep you tort safer. You're looking for an adult evidently? I'm going to do a post on mine too...when I get it a little further along....

Fredkas

5 Year Member
I want to know what is the reason you are not making the top around 2m height at least. That way you can go in and out easily everytime without opening and closing the top of the enclosure.

JLM

5 Year Member
Pensacola Florida
The amount of work you guys are putting is says how special your tortoises are to you :) I receive a lot of rain here also so I understand the need for planning for water. Luckily for me my yard is already raised almost two feet above the street level so I get great drainage and protection. I worry more about predators and neighbors kids :)
Thank you...but we don't have a tortoise yet. I believe in prepping prior so now I can't wait to get a redfoot!

JLM

5 Year Member
Pensacola Florida
I want to know what is the reason you are not making the top around 2m height at least. That way you can go in and out easily everytime without opening and closing the top of the enclosure.
More wood then necessary, plus it would be above our fence and against our homeowners association. Lifting the lids is not a big deal at all.

JLM

5 Year Member
Pensacola Florida
I sense a tipping hazard on the sides of the water pond. If you could make it shallower by placing rocks in the bottom it will keep you tort safer. You're looking for an adult evidently? I'm going to do a post on mine too...when I get it a little further along....
there are rocks in the bottom which I will be cementing in

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
I don't see rocks in the water dish? Maybe I'm misunderstanding. I like all the good ideas I'm getting here though

JLM

5 Year Member
Pensacola Florida
I don't see rocks in the water dish? Maybe I'm misunderstanding. I like all the good ideas I'm getting here though
Maybe zoom the picture? There's flagstone "steps" in it. The water only gets a couple inches deep. Should be fine for an adult. Obviously we'll check once we get the tortoise and make adjustments as necessary. Right now this is all hypothetical and best laid plans in preparation.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
Oh ! I see them. A Tipping hazard is where a tortoise gets overbalanced and lands on its back. If it happens in water it's deadly. The sides of your cement tub are vertical. If he walks along the side or tried to enter tub from the side he'll tip. You may be able to put up a barrier on both sides though.

JLM

5 Year Member
Pensacola Florida
Oh ! I see them. A Tipping hazard is where a tortoise gets overbalanced and lands on its back. If it happens in water it's deadly. The sides of your cement tub are vertical. If he walks along the side or tried to enter tub from the side he'll tip. You may be able to put up a barrier on both sides though.
Gotcha...I'm going to pile more rocks in hopes to discourage entering that area except from front. There will be a cement "ramp" leading into steps. If not then a barrier of some sorts to keep out. Like I said we don't even have the tortoise yet so just trying to guess how it'll work at this point.

Link

East-Central Oklahoma
Thank you...but we don't have a tortoise yet. I believe in prepping prior so now I can't wait to get a redfoot!
Nice I did the same thing. Built my set up before I purchased my tortoise. Mine is a sulcata. I also have issues with homeowner building issues. My tortoise fence should fall under the ornamental category, but I can have an issue if someone complains. :(

JLM

5 Year Member
Pensacola Florida
Installed drip sprinklers for the plants and misters for the tortoise. New dirt and grass seed. Cement ramp into the tub. And a few more plants....and guess what??? My new girl comes on Friday. It's finally time!!

IMG_0216.JPG

CharlieM

10 Year Member!
So FL
Looks great. Congrats on your new girl.

JLM

5 Year Member
Pensacola Florida
Staples pounded in over wire fencing