It is built!!! Thanks Tom!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Yup I plan to! Quick question though. When it’s very cold should I have a UV light?

Where do you live and based on your question, it sounds like you are planning to have your Sully outside all year?

As far as a UV light, I’ll defer to others based on your location.

CapnAwes0me

5 Year Member
Where do you live and based on your question, it sounds like you are planning to have your Sully outside all year?

As far as a UV light, I’ll defer to others based on your location.

I live in North Texas. Yea I plan to keep her outside year around. For the most part the temps are great there is just a couple months that will be to cold, which is why I built the house.

For Love of Everything Shell

5 Year Member
Your pictures are not coming through?

I'm making some changes to my torts home... and I am interested in alternate heat sources! How do you have your set up with the Radiant heat?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I live in North Texas. Yea I plan to keep her outside year around. For the most part the temps are great there is just a couple months that will be to cold, which is why I built the house.
You do not need a UVB light there for a tortoise outside year-round. I do however, like to put a low wattage incadescent bulb in the night box to give a longer photoperiod in the latitudes in which we live and also give a rise in daytime temperatures when outside it is cooler and no way for the tortoise to heat up, even though the box is 80°. I find a rise in temps daytime will have them do better.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You do not need a UVB light there for a tortoise outside year-round. I do however, like to put a low wattage incadescent bulb in the night box to give a longer photoperiod in the latitudes in which we live and also give a rise in daytime temperatures when outside it is cooler and no way for the tortoise to heat up, even though the box is 80°. I find a rise in temps daytime will have them do better.
I completely agree! 100%!

In a 4x8' night box, I use a 65 watt flood bulb mounted to the ceiling of the box which is about 21" from the floor. It is set to come on at about 6:30 am and turn off about 7 pm. This raises the ambient temp up to the mid 80s on a cold (55-60 F) winter day, or low 90s on a warmer (70s F) winter day.

CapnAwes0me

5 Year Member
Your pictures are not coming through?

I'm making some changes to my torts home... and I am interested in alternate heat sources! How do you have your set up with the Radiant heat?

I don’t know why the pics won’t show :(
I’m using a Kane mate and a radiant heat panel. Monitored it last night and it stayed around 83 in the box.

CapnAwes0me

5 Year Member

I thought about doing this as well if nothing else just to give the illusion of day/night in the really cold days where she won’t want to venture out. You do find a temp change with a normal bulb? I guess I could see that as well. Where do you put your thermometer? I hung mine from the ceiling but not sure if that’s the best place.