It is built!!! Thanks Tom!

CapnAwes0me

5 Year Member
I completely agree! 100%!

In a 4x8' night box, I use a 65 watt flood bulb mounted to the ceiling of the box which is about 21" from the floor. It is set to come on at about 6:30 am and turn off about 7 pm. This raises the ambient temp up to the mid 80s on a cold (55-60 F) winter day, or low 90s on a warmer (70s F) winter day.

Do you put one in your 4x4 one as well?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I think you need two hinges on your door and I think you'll be sweeping dirt off of your heat mat daily. :)

CapnAwes0me

5 Year Member
I think you need two hinges on your door and I think you'll be sweeping dirt off of your heat mat daily. :)

Realized the hinge thing pretty quick [emoji23][emoji23] as for the dirt I didn’t know what to do there. Not sure how to have dirt but keep it off the mat. Any suggestions?

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
I completely agree! 100%!

In a 4x8' night box, I use a 65 watt flood bulb mounted to the ceiling of the box which is about 21" from the floor. It is set to come on at about 6:30 am and turn off about 7 pm. This raises the ambient temp up to the mid 80s on a cold (55-60 F) winter day, or low 90s on a warmer (70s F) winter day.
Why use a bulb...a radiant heat panel is far more effective! There's no lights in their burrows...if they choose to stay inside...sobeit!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Why use a bulb...a radiant heat panel is far more effective! There's no lights in their burrows...if they choose to stay inside...sobeit!
Because it is not a burrowing species and I want it to look like a bright sunny day in there. Also why I used the "Sky Blue" Pond Shield to coat the inside.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Because it is not a burrowing species and I want it to look like a bright sunny day in there. Also why I used the "Sky Blue" Pond Shield to coat the inside.
WHAT???? I thought we were talking about sulcatas? This thread is in the Sulcata section. Not a burrowing species?

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
You high right now? Did you misplace this thread? :eek:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
WHAT???? I thought we were talking about sulcatas? This thread is in the Sulcata section. Not a burrowing species?
I can see how that was confusing...

I don't use heat lamps in my 4x4 boxes for large sulcatas. I do use them in my 4x8' boxes that house my stars. I was talking about this in the other thread, and my mind is muddling the two conversations together...

CapnAwes0me

5 Year Member
Can you add any links for the heat mat and the thermostats you and Tom use?

I'm making some changes to my tort's house and I am liking the low clearance aspect of these two heat sources! And the efficiency of course!

Of course!! I’ll link everything below.

https://www.lllreptile.com/products/116-kane-18-x-28-poly-heat-mat

https://www.lllreptile.com/products/19070-rbi-125-x-225-80-watt-radiant-heat-panel

https://www.lllreptile.com/products/13883-zilla-1000-watt-temperature-controller

Let me know if you have any questions :)

For Love of Everything Shell

5 Year Member

Awesome thank you...!!! They aren't that bad considering they won't burn out the second you bump them wrong!!! And no risk of them falling or whatever ! (Oh how many expensive bulbs have I bought over the years!?!)

Ok, a few more ... lol
Now what do you use for uvb and bask?
Heat probe testing gun?
Any other contraptions of the pros in there?!

Everyone always talks at great length about a baby tort house, but not much about adults (or I am looking in the wrong places lol) !!! Hence why I am loving your pics and info !

CapnAwes0me

5 Year Member
Awesome thank you...!!! They aren't that bad considering they won't burn out the second you bump them wrong!!! And no risk of them falling or whatever ! (Oh how many expensive bulbs have I bought over the years!?!)

Ok, a few more ... lol
Now what do you use for uvb and bask?
Heat probe testing gun?
Any other contraptions of the pros in there?!

Everyone always talks at great length about a baby tort house, but not much about adults (or I am looking in the wrong places lol) !!! Hence why I am loving your pics and info !

Since it’s basically just a heated burrow for the winter I don’t have anything for UVB or basking. She is able to go outside whenever she wants. It only gets really cold here for a few weeks. In that time I may bring her in to bask but for the most part I will let her just bask in the natural sun. I have a friend in Minnesota who does the same with his and it comes outside to bask even when it’s super cold.
For temp monitoring I use this:
SensorPush Wireless Thermometer/Hygrometer for iPhone/Android - Humidity & Temperature Smart Sensor with Alerts https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AEQ9X9I/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Works like a champ and I can monitor from anywhere. I plan on keeping her outside 100% of the time. Tom or some of the other vets may say otherwise but from my research and experience she is fine :)

For Love of Everything Shell

5 Year Member
Since it’s basically just a heated burrow for the winter I don’t have anything for UVB or basking. She is able to go outside whenever she wants. It only gets really cold here for a few weeks. In that time I may bring her in to bask but for the most part I will let her just bask in the natural sun. I have a friend in Minnesota who does the same with his and it comes outside to bask even when it’s super cold.
For temp monitoring I use this:
SensorPush Wireless Thermometer/Hygrometer for iPhone/Android - Humidity & Temperature Smart Sensor with Alerts https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AEQ9X9I/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Works like a champ and I can monitor from anywhere. I plan on keeping her outside 100% of the time. Tom or some of the other vets may say otherwise but from my research and experience she is fine :)

Ahhh... that sensor push station and the adding of other sensors ... no cords!!! Sounds amazeballs!!!! I take it you have a whole basket of apples [emoji519] at home!
Again, oh how technology has changed! But what peace of mind to know if you are out of town and something fails, you will know and can have the "tortoise sitter" go check on the issue!
Now if we could just invent a Tort[emoji217]Gyroscope sensor... all my tort mom worries would be at peace!!!
Hmmmm.... my creative brain is gyroscoping as we speak lol

Until then, I remove or barricade all possible 4 wheeling Tort threats [emoji16]