It snowed today and I found myself walking in it and collecting worms

Would you gather fresh worms while walking in the snow for your turtles?

• probably not

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

foxboysracing

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Oakland, Oregon
Only me....

So the last 2 days it has been about 60 here in Oregon. beautiful and much needed. :)

Well, today we woke up to it snowing heavily. Not sticking, but snowing a lot. I LOVE snow, so I decided to go for a walk with my umbrella and enjoy the snow and get some exercise too. Sounds good so far, right??

Well, I started noticing lots of worms on the surface of gravel road trying to get away from all the water in the side ditches. I started collecting them for my boxies at home. Eventually I walked several miles on our road and collected well over a hundred fresh natural worms for my turtles.... ;)

My husband had been in town. He had no idea I had went for a walk. He saw someone walking in the snow alongside the road and thought it was a bum. He then saw them bend down repeatedly and pick something off the side of the road. He thought they were picking up pennies from the roadside. As he got closer he realized it was me!! Me...... not a homeless bum picking up pennies....... But his wife.??.. lol
At this rate maybe I will win most embarrassing wife of the year??? haha lol

I hadn't thought about what it might look like...:rolleyes:

Who else would muddy their coat pocket with fresh juicy worms for their turtles?????

Now I am curious?????

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
ME! I would do it too. Unfortunately here in NY you couldn't find a worm for at least another two months. I have to buy mine at the pet store...trout worms, and night crawlers. I raise my own red wigglers for the hatchlings. I'd be walking your road every day with a bucket.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
;) For sure! I go out during the raining season and collect frogs and toads for Trapper. I pick up dead snakes while walking the dog and catch tadpoles in the ditch with a dollar net. LOL! The funny part is I live in a high end neighborhood and no one ever asks me what I am doing, LOL...

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
i voted "heck no"..I grew up in snow country...and dont want to go back there!!...i had a saying.."if it's snowing, I aint going"...hahaha

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
Mid Willamette Valley, Or
i like to call it worm flippin :) its somtimes a pain to actually grab them (on pavement usually) so i use the edge of some plastic coverd (laminated) paper and flip them into a pail :) i once was ask what the heck i was doing and i was like oh well there was a quarter in the road... as i walked back to my car and put the worm in an old cup :)

our turts otta feel pretty darn lucky!

foxboysracing

10 Year Member!
Oakland, Oregon
This makes me feel much better :) :) :) :)

My husband was a little mortified... but he will get over it.

I am thrilled I am not the only one!!!

Thanks for your help!!! woohoo.. I am NOT crazy after all..

I do raise red wigglers year round too..... I also found a HUGE nigthcrawler in the barn today when I moved a board. Franklin had a feast for one. :)

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
foxboysracing said:
This makes me feel much better :) :) :) :)

My husband was a little mortified... but he will get over it.

I am thrilled I am not the only one!!!

Thanks for your help!!! woohoo.. I am NOT crazy after all..

I do raise red wigglers year round too..... I also found a HUGE nigthcrawler in the barn today when I moved a board. Franklin had a feast for one. :)

:) I would call you normal, just like the rest of us. lol!

pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Chicago IL
I have lived in Chicago my whole life and I HATE snow!! I would not go out in the snow for worms, but maybe in the summer :):) and I think that all of the people on this forum are a little crazy (in a good way) !!

Ps that is hilarious that ur husband thought you were a homeless person !!!!

foxboysracing

10 Year Member!
Oakland, Oregon
supremelysteve said:
What are grubbies?

I love out in the country on a small farm. "grubbies" would be like work clothes that you might wear when you are cleaning the barn, or feeding the horses, feeding the chickens, etc.

Ps that is hilarious that ur husband thought you were a homeless person !!!!
[/quote]

What is unfortunate is that when I thought of going for a walk(i live on a private gravel road with 8 houses) I pulled on the first pair of black pants I found, grabbed my red snow coat, had a two tone blue umbrella and brown leather gloves with white tennis shoes and a white baseball hat....... :(

Maybe I should have put a little more thought into what I was wearing..... ugh.....:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Next time I see snow.... maybe I will take that extra 2 minutes to make sure I match and look like I have a home...... :cool:

Dawn

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
supremelysteve said:
What are grubbies?

Its probably those duds that you don every morning when you get up. At least, that's what my daily wear is called. :p

zesty_17

5 Year Member
Florida
foxboysracing said:
Only me....

So the last 2 days it has been about 60 here in Oregon. beautiful and much needed. :)

Well, today we woke up to it snowing heavily. Not sticking, but snowing a lot. I LOVE snow, so I decided to go for a walk with my umbrella and enjoy the snow and get some exercise too. Sounds good so far, right??

Well, I started noticing lots of worms on the surface of gravel road trying to get away from all the water in the side ditches. I started collecting them for my boxies at home. Eventually I walked several miles on our road and collected well over a hundred fresh natural worms for my turtles.... ;)

My husband had been in town. He had no idea I had went for a walk. He saw someone walking in the snow alongside the road and thought it was a bum. He then saw them bend down repeatedly and pick something off the side of the road. He thought they were picking up pennies from the roadside. As he got closer he realized it was me!! Me...... not a homeless bum picking up pennies....... But his wife.??.. lol
At this rate maybe I will win most embarrassing wife of the year??? haha lol

I hadn't thought about what it might look like...:rolleyes:

Who else would muddy their coat pocket with fresh juicy worms for their turtles?????

Now I am curious?????

lol, that's a great story. yeah, i would probably be right there with you gathering for the turtles.

Status
Not open for further replies.