It's FALL in southern Florida. Storms coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

OliveW

Location (City and/or State)
Branford, FL
YOU GUYS BATTEN DOWN!

YOU better batten down, girl! Stay safe!

The only hurricanes that hit us are the ones that come up the gulf side and make landfall in the northern part of the state. We are typically where people come to ride out storms.

We got hit a few years back with a scary one and power was out for six days. It was super hot out and it sucked. We didn't have an appropriate generator at the time. We sure do now!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Hey!!! That ain't nothing to what's coming soon to mine and yours...name is Ian. Watch your head!
I try to find humor in everything.
Even with my roof flying off. This one looks like it'll effect our area. But probably not a huge event.
Right now it looks like the Tampa area. West coast. THAT is serious.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
YOU better batten down, girl! Stay safe!

The only hurricanes that hit us are the ones that come up the gulf side and make landfall in the northern part of the state. We are typically where people come to ride out storms.

We got hit a few years back with a scary one and power was out for six days. It was super hot out and it sucked. We didn't have an appropriate generator at the time. We sure do now!
Branford is up by the Pan Handle?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
It’s not Autumn in Florida until all the leaves turn to beautiful reds, yellows, crimsons & more. 🤓
Well. If you all admire the leaves so much, why do you rake them up or blow them away?

OliveW

Branford, FL
It’s not Autumn in Florida until all the leaves turn to beautiful reds, yellows, crimsons & more. 🤓

No thanks! 😂 They don't stay looking beautiful for long, then they fall off leaving a very grim and depressing looking landscape until spring. I know since I live in MD and WV all my life until 15 years ago.

Well. If you all admire the leaves so much, why do you rake them up or blow them away?

Excellent question! I never did that myself. When I lived up north, I left them to decay on the ground so the earth could have the nutrients. Of course we could only get away with such living out in the country. When we lived in the urban hell of the DC area, it would have been selfish to not keep a clean yard as it impacted everyone's property values.

Had I done things the way I wanted, my entire yard - including the front - would have been vegetable garden. "Lawn" is such a waste of resources, in my opinion.

I enjoy things looking clean and neat, but the majority of our grass now is actually just weeds that are mowed short. My parents, who have a meticulous lawn, that is all actually grass of the same species, were horrified when I refused to seed after buying this property and putting our home in. I told them the earth would do it's thing, and it has. It looks beautiful now.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Except that none of that happens down here.
If you want to see orange and yellow leaves you need to buy some Croton plants.
Only the grass changes color. (Its brown in the dry winter months)

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Except that none of that happens down here.
If you want to see orange and yellow leaves you need to buy some Croton plants.
Only the grass changes color. (Its brown in the dry winter months)
We have Fall here too and not just Crotons. Almond tree outside my office about to shed...darn. I can't find how to attach a photo from my phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.