It's not an April's fools joke...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Missouri
They are beautiful! Congrats! So does this mean you are no longer pregnant? :p Jk! Sorry to bring it back up again.. just couldn't help it! I love the edges of those little boogers!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
SulcataSquirt said:
They are beautiful! Congrats! So does this mean you are no longer pregnant? :p Jk! Sorry to bring it back up again.. just couldn't help it! I love the edges of those little boogers!

:D I do have a couple more hingeback eggs, but they are in the incubator so I am not holding out much hope for them. Guess I am still pregnant then, huh? :D

??Len?? said:
Congratulations Jacqui, I don't think I have ever seen a hatchling hingeback,They look a lot like the Asian forest tortoises hatchlings with all those spines. Len

Actually they do. I often wonder, since it seems most of the more forest types also have spines as youngsters, if that helps them blend in more with the leaves on the forest floor? Seems a lot of leaves have sorta spiney ends to them too.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I'm happy that one of them decided to split its scutes for you wacky Jacqui. ;)

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
emysemys said:
A split scute!! I love the "different" ones. They sure have serrated edges, huh? I never noticed that about the bigger torts. Good luck with them.

The adults don't have the serrated edges or spines as the ones on the hatchlings look more like :D.

006-1.jpg

003-1.jpg

Neal said:
I'm happy that one of them decided to split its scutes for you wacky Jacqui. ;)

Me too! At first I thought I was seeing things, when I spotted it.:D

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
ascott said:
They are absolutely GORGEOUS :D

Thank you! I think they are too, but then I am very prejudiced. :D :D was surprised to see how much coloring/marking they already have on their heads.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
stephiiberrybean said:
They are gorgeous Jacqui :)

So happy for you :D
Hopefully this is the sign of many to come?

From your mouth to reality! I sure would love that to be true. I still have a few eggs in the incubator, but hold little hope for them. I have breeding activity all year long it seems. Just yesterday, it started in the early morning with the lower male Bells, afternoon became the sex noises coming from the upper Bell section and then early evening went to one of the upper pairs of Homes (not the ones which produced these two).

My very first hingebacks, a pair of Bell always laid me a clutch for Thanksgiving and one for Christmas. With those, I just slipped the eggs in an incubator and basically forgot them and they would hatch (100% even). Now that I should be knowing what to do, I seem to not be able to get them to hatch at all. :( Before you ask, I have tried all sorts of things and even try mimicking everybody who has hatched any. Still no luck. :(

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
Congrats!
One of my female homeana laid a total of 12 eggs this year, 4 clutches, not a single sign of development in any. I did try several different methods of incubation as well.:(
Again that is very cool and I am very happy for you!

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Benjamin said:
Congrats!
One of my female homeana laid a total of 12 eggs this year, 4 clutches, not a single sign of development in any. I did try several different methods of incubation as well.:(

See that is what I am not understanding. Why are we having +such trouble, when both of us have had actual hingeback hatching success before? What key are we missing or what are we not doing correctly for the adults to produce viable eggs. We both seem to get lots of eggs.

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
Jacqui said:
Benjamin said:
Congrats!

See that is what I am not understanding. Why are we having +such trouble, when both of us have had actual hingeback hatching success before? What key are we missing or what are we not doing correctly for the adults to produce viable eggs. We both seem to get lots of eggs.

I agree. My adult K.homeana are overwintering in the greenhouse again this year. Last year I kept them indoors over the winter. That is the only change I had made from the winter before.
The natural photoperiod along with cooler temps does work for most of the species housed in the greenhouse, those pesky heosemys spinosa are still holding out after 8 years.

I need to post a pic of "Hinge", he is 4"SCL now at about 18months old.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
OMG Jacqui!!!! I am sooooo soooo sooooooooooooooo happy for you and yet incredibly JEALOUS at the same time!

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Kristina said:
OMG Jacqui!!!! I am sooooo soooo sooooooooooooooo happy for you and yet incredibly JEALOUS at the same time!

Your turn is next!

MatteoV

5 Year Member
Bologna - Italy
Congratulations!!!! It 's a rare and extraordinary event! These animals are difficult to reproduce.

Status
Not open for further replies.