It's parasites!

I posted a few weeks ago about having a sick red foot that we took to the vets. He was vomiting and not passing stool at all. Well, we finally got a decent stool sample and the vet confirmed it is indeed a parasite. And all three of our red foots have them now. We were given a de-wormer to put on their food once a week for 4 weeks. Our vet is a very busy man, apparently as he rushed in to speak with us real quick and then rushed out. He didn't really explain too much. If anyone can give me some advice that maybe have had this issue before, that would be so helpful. Such as, is there a possibility that the parasite will remain with the medication? Will they most likely survive now that they are being treated? What kind of parasites can tortoises have? And other related questions. Thanks!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
It would have been better if he had given you a dose to administer in his mouth all at once, then another dose 10 days later to kill anything that hatched after the original dose. I'd be willing to bet your tortoise isn't going to eat food with that yucky-tasting stuff on it.

Is the de-wormer called Panacur? If so, that kind of de-wormer kills the parasites you can see...they look like spaghetti or rice. The kind you can't see require to be dosed with Flagyl. I don't remember how often you use that one. Been too long and my brain is old.

http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/worming.html

M

Maggie Cummings

Personally, I'd be lookin for a better Vet. YOU paid for his expertise and time and didn't get it.

It would have been better if he had given you a dose to administer in his mouth all at once, then another dose 10 days later to kill anything that hatched after the original dose. I'd be willing to bet your tortoise isn't going to eat food with that yucky-tasting stuff on it.

Is the de-wormer called Panacur? If so, that kind of de-wormer kills the parasites you can see...they look like spaghetti or rice. The kind you can't see require to be dosed with Flagyl. I don't remember how often you use that one. Been too long and my brain is old.

http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/worming.html

It was panacur he gave me and that makes sense because we can see little rice looking things in their stool. Yeah, they weren't too thrilled about the taste of the medication but after a bit of coaxing they ate the recommended dose from the vet. We are to give them 1ml every week so do you think that will kill off anything that has hatch like you said?

Thanks for your responses! I'm moving soon so hopefully there will be a better selection of reptile vets.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
It's really no big deal. Tortoises (all animals, really) have parasites. A small dose of them isn't harmful. Its when they get to be overloaded when trouble begins. So the amount of poison you are feeding your tortoise will get the amount of them down to size and if he still has a few after you're finished dosing, its not life threatening.

Like Maggie said...after you move, try to find a vet who gives you more of his time. YOU are hiring a service. It's not your fault if he over-books and has clients waiting.