It's Twins! A short stack of pancake tortoises.

kalbee

Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I had a pair of pancake tortoise twins hatch 2 days ago. It was hard to believe they were both in that one egg. They incubated for 192 days. The yolk was completely absorbed but they were connected but a 1 mm thick cord. They were both fully formed but one is noticeably smaller than the other. They are quite mobile but the cord made it difficult. The center of the cord was pretty dry today so I cut it. They are both doing well so far. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to potentiate the survival of both?20160924_100116.jpg

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I had a pair of pancake tortoise twins hatch 2 days ago. It was hard to believe they were both in that one egg. They incubated for 192 days. The yolk was completely absorbed but they were connected but a 1 mm thick cord. They were both fully formed but one is noticeably smaller than the other. They are quite mobile but the cord made it difficult. The center of the cord was pretty dry today so I cut it. They are both doing well so far. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to potentiate the survival of both?View attachment 187870
Welcome to the forum to you as well as the twins!

allegraf

10 Year Member!
I kept my twins in the incubator for a month after hatching as they were both much smaller than a normal hatchling. After that I treated them like a normal hatchling. They did just fine. They just seem a bit more fragile in the beginning since they were so small!

kalbee

Southern California
I kept my twins in the incubator for a month after hatching as they were both much smaller than a normal hatchling. After that I treated them like a normal hatchling. They did just fine. They just seem a bit more fragile in the beginning since they were so small!
For a month? Wow! Thanks for the advice. They do seem fragile. It's great to get advice from someone with first hand experience. I appreciate you taking your time to reply.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
For a month? Wow! Thanks for the advice. They do seem fragile. It's great to get advice from someone with first hand experience. I appreciate you taking your time to reply.

What does each one weigh? What did your other pancake hatchlings weigh?

I can vouch for leaving them in the brooder box for a while. I've done that a few times over the years and it really gives them a chance to head start.

@cyan
@african cake queen
@Tim/Robin

What do your hatchlings usually weigh?

cyan

10 Year Member!
Georgia

I can vouch for leaving them in the brooder box for a while. I've done that a few times over the years and it really gives them a chance to head start.

@cyan
@african cake queen
@Tim/Robin

My smallest was 6 grams and largest so far has been 13 grams.

So cool to have twins!! Congrats!

kalbee

Southern California

@cyan
@african cake queen
@Tim/Robin

These two weight 5 and 7 grams. My other hatchlings are usually 8 grams. My scale is only accurate to the gram. I'm soaking them every day to keep them hydrated and they are just now showing interest in food. Thanks for the reinforcement for leaving them in the incubator for a while.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Great news! Congratulations

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
This one is 7 years old. Am I missing something here?