I've decided to pursue a career as a fire fighter

Nolan1992

I have decided to pursue this career after I graduate college next spring, although it has nothing to do with my degree (economics). Any fire fighters on TFO with some advice for me ????? I am going to get certified as an EMT this summer.

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Neverland!
I don't know anything about firefighting, but congratulations on surviving college. :D

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
Spent 23 years as a volunteer in my community holding every position in the department. Spent 15 years as an industrial FF in a petrochemical plant. My best advice to you is to pick a goal and work towards it, such as getting hired in a department you like first. Then pick another goal, like get to paramedic level and achieve it. Work in small achievable steps that not only progress you, but expand your knowledge also. Don't focus on one aspect only, like simply HAZMAT, but try to get into all aspects because if you want to get to a management level, a well-rounded background will make a difference.

It will be a great job, but don't expect high pay. Most of my buddies work second jobs, or second shifts. Good luck, it is a very respectable profession.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
I think that would be a great career. I dedicated twenty five years to public service and found it rewarding at many levels.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I think this is awesome! Takes a very special person to do the job and I wish you the best of luck.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
I have decided to pursue this career after I graduate college next spring, although it has nothing to do with my degree (economics). Any fire fighters on TFO with some advice for me ????? I am going to get certified as an EMT this summer.

I know few of "Tortoise" fire fighter in TFO, like Tom, Jacqui, Yvonne and many others, just mane of few....................

Nolan1992

Thank you everyone for the kind words, I am looking forward to graduating college and starting a career. :)