i've had 'him' one year now

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcy4hope

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Missouri
this is my 17 month old sulcata, louis. i've had him exactly a year now.
100_4738_zpsc7bdd980.jpg

so glad to see his weight up after losing weight a month or two ago from being sick. i've cut back on the mazuri as well, since my once picky eater is now loving his other food choices way more than he did before. so, i'm not expecting him to grow quite as fast as he was.
100_4740_zps74adc2f9.jpg

100_4754_zpsc16319c5.jpg

i love that green stained mouth
100_4749_zps24031966.jpg

the white in some of the lines is the vita shell i put on him
100_4744_zpsb5869f18.jpg

KingInCulver

5 Year Member
Southern California
oooh, he's got a nice shell! he's so handsome. have you been using vita shell since you've had him? love the shot of the little back legs - my favorite!

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
What a beautiful sully. His shell looks so round and smooth. Good job!

M

Maggie Cummings

His face is wonderful!!! So cute. Some people say all tortoises look alike[/b], but I don't believe that's true. They have different faces and I could pick mine out in a million Sulcata. This guy has a really cute face, and he's a good color...

marcy4hope

10 Year Member!
Missouri
KingInCulver said:
oooh, he's got a nice shell! he's so handsome. have you been using vita shell since you've had him? love the shot of the little back legs - my favorite!

i just started using vitashell in the last month. i wasn't all year, but he gets soaked an hour everyday and our water is hard, so i started using it to protect his shell. i like how shiny it makes it. i put it on once a week.

mthead911

5 Year Member
What is does your housing look like for him? I want mine to become as healthy as yours.

marcy4hope

10 Year Member!
Missouri
mthead911 said:
What is does your housing look like for him? I want mine to become as healthy as yours.

this was his first enclosure he was in for 10 months and totally outgrew fast. it used to hold a bearded dragon - thus the lizard cutouts, my husband made. that's louis as a baby in that enclosure. there is a humidifier sitting on the floor next to it that's pumped into it on a timer throughout the day.
100_4086.jpg

this is the enclosure i moved him into a month ago that my husband built. i went mainly off of what tom teaches here on the forum about closed chambers. i really like the results so far. i also have a humidifier pumped into this cage as well.
100_4690.jpg

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Wow, beautiful tort, great butt:) and great enclosures!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
He looks great. Glad he's doing better. I was a little worried there for a while.

omgdoubletacos

10 Year Member!
That is a beautiful enclosure(the second one. Soon enough I'll have to built one for my little guy.

marcy4hope

10 Year Member!
Missouri
thanks to all. and tom, yes i was worried too, but he's doing great now and eating like a horse.

Clementine said:
What does Vita Shell do and how is it applied?

i use the vita shell as it is directed on the label - only once a week. you just rub it all over the shell and then i use a paper towel and wipe off the excess. i rub it in as good as i can. i had never used it before i started noticing a bit of trouble with his shell from the hard water in his soaks. i would have to use a soft toothbrush on him fairly often to remove flaky areas from the water. but, with the vita shell, it's almost like it puts a protective coating on him and i never have to scrub hard water off anymore. it makes it shiny and nice looking too. if it wasn't for the hard water though, i wouldn't bother with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.