I've lost the school's hermit crab! Stress!!

HJ1983

Location (City and/or State)
New York City
I'm babysitting the school hermit crabs for spring break. They gross me out and I only touch them when cleaning feces and adding water and food.

When I looked into their little tank 15 minutes ago I noticed that there are only two when there is supposed to be three! I know they dig when they molt. But do they dig down with their shells?

It's almost 4 am and I'm on my hands and knees with a flashlight looking for a hermit crab. I'm devastated. School starts in two days and I don't want to go back to work with minus one crab! I can't find any information on if they dig with their shell or not. I see no obvious sign of digging in the sand. And there are too many places it could be if it did escape. Although I don't know how it could have gotten out!

I'm sure one of you wonderful people know something about hermit crabs. Please advise.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I no nothing....however, could the other two have eaten him? You don't find his empty shell either?

mikeh

5 Year Member
I believe they stay in their shell, dug deep down when molting. They are great climbers, if the top is not covered and they are able to climb up, they will escape.

HJ1983

New York City
I found him! Yvonne and Mike thanks for your responses. I did realize that they climbed like 20 minutes after my search started and when I saw all the places he could be I just said eff that and went to bed. This morning I looked in the tank hoping for a miracle and I did get one. He has dug himself under shell and all and I saw him through the glass. Relief. I was going to pull the old buy a new one and hope they don't notice trick.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    934.8 KB · Views: 40