Ivy and seed mix

Status
Not open for further replies.

dds7155

5 Year Member
Along my fences there ivy growing like crazy , is it toxic to tortoises? and can anyone recommend seed mixes that would grow in mostly shade ? when we brought our house 31 years ago my father-in-law tried to tell me to not plant so many trees,,i think the ivy is English ivy,, i live in Tennessee, thxs

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Orange County, So Cal
On thetortoisetable.org.uk it says DO NOT FEED in red. Here is a paste:

Common name : Ivy (English Ivy)
Latin name : Hedera spp. (esp. Hedera Helix)
Family name : Araliaceae
ivy contains saponins which are steroid glycosides (see the Harmful Properties section of this website) and falcarinol, which is capable of causing allergic skin reactions, so this plant is one to avoid. It is a commonly grown cultivated plant in the UK but can often be seen growing in the wild.

ivy growing along the ground and up walls makes a great ladder for tortoises to climb, so always clear any ivy away from the perimeter of your enclosure to prevent your tortoise from escaping.

N.B. Do not confuse with Ground ivy (Glechoma hederacea /Nepeta glechoma) or Boston ivy (Parthenocissus tricuspidata).

There are some grass mixes specifically for shade. Just be sure if the grass is pelleted with fertilizer that you let that wash off a few months before letting your tortoise graze on it. I like St Augustine grass and here in Southern California it thrives in partial shade. Red fescue I believe does well in shade also.

Status
Not open for further replies.