Ixora flowers and leaves

ZahraE

Location (City and/or State)
Mombasa
Hi Everyone,

I have this plant in my garden: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ixora

I was wondering if it is safe for my leopard tortoise to eat as I'm still looking to plant some plants that I know are safe for him, such as hibiscus, dandelions etc etc. Responses will be much appreciated.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
I searched the Tortoisetable and got zilch so I asked my pal Google and it seems Ixora may be non -toxic, but I would do a leaf then monitor for a few days then a flower and monitor for a few days. Only one at a time so you can rule out any issues before you try the other. Personally I think it will be fine and the issue will be if your leopard is a food snob cause Lordy mine is! BTW this is form Google.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I checked multiple sites, then found this.

This is a risk assessment for the plant for the state of Hawaii, which is extremely careful of introducing any plant or animal that could harm the environment.

Note line 4.05. Toxic to animals = no.

If Hawaii says it's OK...it's OK! :)

Screenshot_20210201-015212_Chrome.jpg

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA

This is a risk assessment for the plant for the state of Hawaii, which is extremely careful of introducing any plant or animal that could harm the environment.

View attachment 316935
I figured if the ASPCA said it was okay it would. NIce find

ZahraE

Mombasa
I searched the Tortoisetable and got zilch so I asked my pal Google and it seems Ixora may be non -toxic, but I would do a leaf then monitor for a few days then a flower and monitor for a few days. Only one at a time so you can rule out any issues before you try the other. Personally I think it will be fine and the issue will be if your leopard is a food snob cause Lordy mine is! BTW this is form Google.

Okay! I'm going to try starting from tomorrow and see how it does and yes I thought mine was the only one but clearly not. However, he's definitely better with the varieties and getting used to it in a way. Thank you very much! :)

ZahraE

Mombasa

View attachment 316935

OMG!!!! Thank you so much! Definitely going to start tomorrow but still going to keep an eye on him of course for safety purposes. I'm sure he should be fine though. Thanks :)

ShaySRQ

SW Florida
My leopard was in my backyard yesterday and tried a bite of my dwarf ixora- to my surprise, he seemed to like it. He had never shown any interest in it before!