• Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Jack @ Trinas first Sulcata Tortoise

Flora Belle's keeper

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
North Georgia
Very cute! What a great array of edibles! Be sure too though that any plants planted in the enclosure are also safe for tortoise consumption. I am not great at plant identification so am not sure what you have growing. Very nice looking enclosure!

Flora Belle's keeper

5 Year Member
North Georgia
Oh great! Also, maybe something you could further research on this site is substrate types. I believe there is a forum about it saved. I have read that pine bark can be irritating to the eyes, something to do with the pine oils i believe. I have not used it but use cypress mulch instead which i have read is better than cedar.

Action

Valley Springs, Ca.
The enclosure is planted with
Ajuga.....grows really well and likes to nibble on it.
Heartleaf iceplant......Grows great.. pretty much leaves it alone.
Some kind of ive i got from @Markw84 when i got tortoise from him......Eats the heck out of it but grows really good.
Jack

Action

Valley Springs, Ca.
Oh great! Also, maybe something you could further research on this site is substrate types. I believe there is a forum about it saved. I have read that pine bark can be irritating to the eyes, something to do with the pine oils i believe. I have not used it but use cypress mulch instead which i have read is better than cedar.
Yes it is on fir bark (Orchid bark)

Action

Valley Springs, Ca.
Took some work but humidity is holding between 85-95 and temps are good but do creep up into the low 90's late in the day.....It also gets some day time sun every day.
Jack

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
Its ok to creep to 90’s here and there.. its hot in africa lol as long as hes hydrated