Jacky And Daisy

zolasmum

5 Year Member
We're a bit heavier than you Zola and I don't suppose the strawberries help. When MaNaAk picked us up earlier she laughed because Daisy's mouth was so red it reminded her lions devouring prey on wildlife programmes and as for she had strawberry segments around her mouth and MaNaAk tried to work how she got strawberry under her shell. We are so sorry about your bad starts in life Zola and Sapphire. There are some idiots out there who shouldn't be allowed to keep pets. The scan picked a tiny hole under Daisy's shell which could have been there when she hatched as it is invisible to the eye. The mark on top of her shell was made when she tried to visit the neighbour by tunnelling under the fence!

The scan picked up 79 years of medical history and it is the first time that Daisy has had this bar the trip to an idiot vet that diagnosed Jacky and Daisy with an underactive thyroid years ago. They were given medication and later told by another vet that their thyroids were fine! Jacky has spent 86 years with nothing!

Jacky and Daisy
You must be proud of their health - I think vets hadn't a clue about tortoise treatment until fairly recently, and just assumed they were the same as any other creature, including humans. When we first got Zola, the man at the pet shop,who had tortoises of his own, suggested we get a de-wormer medicine from the local vet, because he thought it would be likely Zola had got them. So we went to the vet -most of the staff had never seen a baby tortoise before - and we ended up with these big burly men, who usually had their arms up cows' bottoms in their work - all coo-ing over Zola and crowding round !! As you can imagine, these vets wouldn't have been much help at all with Zola -but we got the worm stuff, gave him a tiny amount, and all was well!
After that, apart from getting his beak trimmed, Zola has never seen a vet. He was very fragile when we first had him, because of being stepped on by someone, which split his shell, and his insides were damaged, but he needed nursing care,not a vet, and we were able to get him stronger, and he had real fighting spirit - he is really strong now - and maybe we love him even more because of what he - and we - have been through together.
Angie

MaNaAk

Location (City and/or State)
Southend
Zola's lucky to have you two Angie. I still remember the vet that thought Jacky and Daisy had an underactive thyroid without thinking about the possibility of them being puffy after hibernation.I just adore tortoises's.

MaNaAk

MaNaAk

Southend
Dear MaNaAk - I have been thinking about your name, and have convinced myself that it is Marigold Natasha Akroyd. Of course, I may be wrong - I am not suggesting you tell me what your name is, - but you can perhaps tell me if I am right! I can go on calling you that in my mind, anyway !
Angie
Dear Angie,

I'm called by my middle name which is Natrah. It's a Malaysian name as dad was from Malaysia the name you gave me is very pretty.

MaNaAk

MaNaAk

Southend
Dear Zola and Sapphire,

We saw the Red Arrows going over today!

Jacky and Daisy
They were on their way to an airshow at Eastbourne and they are stopping in Southend over the weekend. We also saw Spitfires we weren't scared of the noise as we had each other and we were outside basking with our food.

Jacky and Daisy

MaNaAk

Southend
Dear Angie,

I'm called by my middle name which is Natrah. It's a Malaysian name as dad was from Malaysia the name you gave me is very pretty.

MaNaAk
I lived in Malaysia during the seventies whilst Jacky and Daisy kept my grandmother company here.

MaNaAk

MaNaAk

Southend
I lived in Malaysia during the seventies whilst Jacky and Daisy kept my grandmother company here.

MaNaAk
I don't remember seeing tortoises there but I do remember looking after a turtle in aquarium when he was small.

MaNaAk

zolasmum

5 Year Member
They were on their way to an airshow at Eastbourne and they are stopping in Southend over the weekend. We also saw Spitfires we weren't scared of the noise as we had each other and we were outside basking with our food.

Jacky and Daisy
Wow- that must have been very exciting - and I know you two are never scared of anything !!!

MaNaAk
Did you come to England for the first time when your grandmother died?
Angie x

MaNaAk

Southend
Wow- that must have been very exciting - and I know you two are never scared of anything !!!

Did you come to England for the first time when your grandmother died?
Angie x
I was born here but we moved to Malaysia when I was six before coming back here when I was fourteen. I remember the wonderful dawn chorus, monkeys in the back garden, flying squirrels, bats, krait snakes, leaf butterflies and atlas moths. My grandmother came to visit us and saw a hornbill.

Natrah (MaNaAk

zolasmum

5 Year Member
I was born here but we moved to Malaysia when I was six before coming back here when I was fourteen. I remember the wonderful dawn chorus, monkeys in the back garden, flying squirrels, bats, krait snakes, leaf butterflies and atlas moths. My grandmother came to visit us and saw a hornbill.

Natrah (MaNaAk
That must have been wonderful -coming back to the UK must have been a bit of a shock. Still, some lovely memories, I'm sure
Angie xx

Cathie G

Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster

Natrah (MaNaAk
I enjoyed the choir singing in the everglades at night too. The frogs sang melodies the alligators booming like bass drums in the distance etc. It was a really beautiful swamp song.

MaNaAk

Southend
I enjoyed the choir singing in the everglades at night too. The frogs sang melodies the alligators booming like bass drums in the distance etc. It was a really beautiful swamp song.
Beautiful! I tried to give Daisy her anti-inflammatories without turning her over and it was impossible. She can be very stubborn!

MaNaAk

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Beautiful! I tried to give Daisy her anti-inflammatories without turning her over and it was impossible. She can be very stubborn!

MaNaAk
I hope she didn't scratch you again - can you maybe focus her on a strawberry.Dangling round your neck, perhaps,
so she doesn't notice what you are doing !!
Angie x

MaNaAk

Southend
Thankyou you two and that's a good idea Angie. I'm trying to look after my fingers as well. There's nothing wrong with her jaws!

MaNaAk

AmandaF

Congresbury
This is Ernie,

she is 2 1/2. I thought she was a boy, I could’nt change her name when the vet said she was a girl. She has a big personalpity.

This is such a great site for information

amanda x

Attachments

• C4FC3255-4317-4349-BF43-32FBEC77F9ED.jpeg
    C4FC3255-4317-4349-BF43-32FBEC77F9ED.jpeg
    953.7 KB · Views: 2

MaNaAk

Southend
Hello Ernie,

We thought Jacky (86) was a boy until we were told that she was Jacqueline!

MaNaAk