Jacky And Daisy

zolasmum

5 Year Member
How heavy are the young ladies now? And can you tell me approximately how long their shells are? I'm asking because I would like to compare them with Zola - he seems to be about one kilo all the time, but he also has a bit of translucent new growth on the edges of his shell in some places - I hope he won't grow much bigger, as he is a nice size to hold now.
Angie
Their shells are roughly ten inches in length and they are just over half a stone but the scales that I use are bathroom scales and they had both been munching on greens.

How old is Zola and what are his figures?
I weighed and measured Zola today -
Weight - 2 lb 4 oz or 1.20 kilos
Length of shell - six and three quarter inches or 17 cm.

So he is quite a lot smaller than your young ladies. He will be 22 years old on Friday. I know it is normal for female tortoises to be bigger than males, because of the need for egg space,etc - I think he would be scared to bits to meet Jacky ! But for us he is just the right size - he sits comfortably in Richard's hand for carrying, and on my
lap at other times. He is very strong, but a good little chap most of the time.
Angie

MaNaAk

Today is my birthday!
Location (City and/or State)
Southend
I weighed and measured Zola today -
Weight - 2 lb 4 oz or 1.20 kilos
Length of shell - six and three quarter inches or 17 cm.

So he is quite a lot smaller than your young ladies. He will be 22 years old on Friday. I know it is normal for female tortoises to be bigger than males, because of the need for egg space,etc - I think he would be scared to bits to meet Jacky ! But for us he is just the right size - he sits comfortably in Richard's hand for carrying, and on my
lap at other times. He is very strong, but a good little chap most of the time.
Angie
I'd like to see another picture of him at some point please @zolasmum.

MaNaAk

zolasmum

5 Year Member
I'd like to see another picture of him at some point please @zolasmum.

MaNaAk
Here is one of him in the spring last year looking rather sweet.Here you can see the damage to his shell - he had a split in it when we first got him, which we think was due to someone treading on him when his shell was still soft - he was actually quite poorly when we got him, and I think one of the reasons we have such a close bond with him is because we had to hand feed him and hold him a lot when he was little, and he grew to trust us. Anyway, the split grew bigger over time, but didn't cause any problems in later years. I rather like it - it makes him even more special.
His shell has never been polished - just stroked a lot!
Angie
Violets

MaNaAk

Today is my birthday!
Southend
He's beautiful! I sometimes hand feed Jacky and Daisy but I have to watch my hand. Does he have spurs on his thighs like mine do because I need to be careful of those as well?

MaNaAk

zolasmum

5 Year Member
He's beautiful! I sometimes hand feed Jacky and Daisy but I have to watch my hand. Does he have spurs on his thighs like mine do because I need to be careful of those as well?

MaNaAk
Zola rarely bites my finger - only if he gets a bit over-excited, and makes a badly aimed grab. Or if he sees the treat box and thinks I'm too slow. He can hurt, but has never drawn blood yet ! I don't think he actually means to hurt me.
He doesn't have spurs on his thighs.
I often wonder if tortoise "biting" could sometimes actually be an exploratory thing -he would be able to feel and taste something, in a way he can't do normally.
Angie

Cathie G

Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I once was hand feeding a wild gopher and she managed to pull her head back before she bit me. She could have accidentally hurt me bad. She really didn't want to. That day was the day I knew what I'd always really wanted was a tortoise. Not a turtle even though I fell in love with them as a child. Use some tongs. I'm sure they don't want to pollute themselves too 😁

MaNaAk

Today is my birthday!
Southend
Not only have I come back and found Daisy's lump smaller but Jacky has done something that she has never done before in that she feasted on the greens that were covered in calcium powder. She had never eaten inside before and also this is the second time I have found her sleeping on the mop. What is it about mops and bathroom scales?

MaNaAk

Cathie G

Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Not only have I come back and found Daisy's lump smaller but Jacky has done something that she has never done before in that she feasted on the greens that were covered in calcium powder. She had never eaten inside before and also this is the second time I have found her sleeping on the mop. What is it about mops and bathroom scales?

MaNaAk
I can't explain a mop. But a bathroom scale is a lot like a flat rock and torts love those to climb a little and just sit for a spell. My little box turtle is the one that taught me that..😊

Cathie G

Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Zola rarely bites my finger - only if he gets a bit over-excited, and makes a badly aimed grab. Or if he sees the treat box and thinks I'm too slow. He can hurt, but has never drawn blood yet ! I don't think he actually means to hurt me.
He doesn't have spurs on his thighs.
I often wonder if tortoise "biting" could sometimes actually be an exploratory thing -he would be able to feel and taste something, in a way he can't do normally.
Angie
The only time Sapphire was actually aiming for me had to do with the fact that I smell like herbs because of my shower gels and such. He was acting like a snoopy dog sniffing before he aimed for my ankle 😜 and I saw him coming.👀

MaNaAk

Today is my birthday!
Southend
I can't explain a mop. But a bathroom scale is a lot like a flat rock and torts love those to climb a little and just sit for a spell. My little box turtle is the one that taught me that..😊
These two like climbing and digging. Whilst Jacky has been climbing I have found Daisy digging and this was very good to see.

MaNaAk

MaNaAk

Today is my birthday!
Southend
The only time Sapphire was actually aiming for me had to do with the fact that I smell like herbs because of my shower gels and such. He was acting like a snoopy dog sniffing before he aimed for my ankle 😜 and I saw him coming.👀
I don't blame him. Years ago dad felt he was being followed around the garden because he had a banana in his hand. Fruit is only a special treat now of course at stage we tried to grow strawberries but they didn't last.

MaNaAk

Cathie G

Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I don't blame him. Years ago dad felt he was being followed around the garden because he had a banana in his hand. Fruit is only a special treat now of course at stage we tried to grow strawberries but they didn't last.

MaNaAk
Sapphire also likes the odor of a rabbit treat sold by Small Pet Select that they sent as a sample in an order. It's all dried flowers and herbs. Because it's so natural I decided to offer it soaked a bit to Sapphire and my little box turtle. They came out of their hides immediately. It was so funny. It was unmistakable that they liked it. I've never been able to get him to eat fresh flowers though however many times I try. Whatever...lil 🐢

Warren

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Balto. MD
A very athletic young lady, as I have pointed out before. It's great that they are both so active and have so much interest in life
Here is a photo of Zola jumping for joy on his birthday today...
View attachment 347039 He is quite an athletic chap too
Angie
Happy Birthday, I guessing she has a trampoline. Good Air and Good picture!

zolasmum

5 Year Member
I was wondering how you did that, Hoping you wasn't tossing your Tortoise in the air to get a good shot. LOL!
His dad was holding him, with his thumb visible and more of his hand behind his head. He managed to take out the bits of hand from the photo, and then fill the space with colour matched to the rest of his shell. It took him a long time to get it looking really natural - but it obviously worked well, as you didn't realise!
Angie

MaNaAk

Today is my birthday!
Southend
His dad was holding him, with his thumb visible and more of his hand behind his head. He managed to take out the bits of hand from the photo, and then fill the space with colour matched to the rest of his shell. It took him a long time to get it looking really natural - but it obviously worked well, as you didn't realise!
Angie
Happy Birthday Zola!

Have a few dandelions!

Love

Jacky and Daisy 🎂🎉