Jaguar 😋 turtle

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Must be photo shopped. I doubt a jaguar would come in contact with a sea turtle???????

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
It might be real. That's probably on the South/Central American coast. Turtle was digging a nest. Looks like the jaguar has already taken the turtle's head off.

EricW

Houston, TX
Apparent is an issue. I thought it was photoshopped too. I also would have never thought it to be true. Here are some links but a quick search results in plenty of stuff on the topc.

Wayfarin

Groveton, NH
Yes, jaguars in Costa Rica have been known to hunt sea turtles, even the giant leatherback sea turtles, which are twice their size but defenseless on land when faced with such a deadly predator. Jaguars are actually quite capable of biting through turtle shells, but since sea turtles cannot retract into their shells, the big cats simply go for their heads and necks to spare themselves the effort.

I feel sorry for any sea turtle that has to go that way. Big cats are already terrifying enough, but imagine having to encounter one when you're low to the ground and hardly able to move. I know that jaguars have to eat, but it's just terrible, even more so than an ordinary predator-prey interaction since even "defenseless" animals like rabbits have a fair chance of escaping from danger.