Jess + Cecil = hearts

Punk rock princess

Location (City and/or State)
Seattle
Hi All,

My name is Jess and my husband and I just adopted a 2 year old Russian tortoise from a student at my school. His name (the tortoise, not the student) is Cecil. It's been an interesting 2 months as Cecil gets used to his new home with better food, and I've been borrowing information from this site to help Cecil get settled in. Our first order of new business will be to build a bigger indoor home for Cecil once we move into our new house. The second order of business will be to build an outdoor home as well, though I'm worried about raccoons and other predators.

Our major concerns have been adjusting Cecil's diet, as he was just eating Romaine lettuce in his old home. We feed him squash, carrots, broccoli, and collard greens now after visiting a local pet store, though I still worry that this isn't the right balance of diet based on his pooping habits. We switched out the rabbit pellets in his tank for wood chips, which he loves to burrow in. Lately, I've been worried that Cecil is depressed as he hasn't eaten much and he spends most of his days sleeping.

Thank you for all the information you have already provide (whether you realized it or not!).

Jess

IMG_1376.JPG

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and a Welcome. A lot of torts, specially those that can hibernate in the colder winter months have been slowing down and not eating as much. My Russian included. Just make sure temps are correct, keep lights on for at least 12-14 hours, be sure the enclosure is bright and that you keep feeding and providing fresh water daily.
As for diet, try feeding more greens. Mustard and collard greens, endive, mixed greens, kale, arugula etc.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Jess, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you and Cecil.:)

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
Welcome to the forum! I love that name, just like Cecil the turtle in Looney Tunes cartoons.