Jetta failed his fecal test. Pinworms.

greenighs

So, while Jetta was at the vet for his shell abrasion, he pooped on the examination table and we decided to do a fecal test for parasites given the opportunity. Results back, he has pinworms, which are common, but if they get too numerous (the doctor said they were over 3, not sure what that means.), he needs meds. Ivermectin oral solution, three drops, once a week. Could not figure out for the life of me how to get the drops into his mouth, with him pulling into his shell every time I tried and all, so I put a drop each on three dandelion flowers and he ate them up. So that's that. Just once a week, and the meds only cost $5 & an 8-mile r/t ride to the vet, not a problem. But Jetta's getting a little tired of all the hands-on attention, poor lil fella.

More of an info post than a question, however, my method of administering his medication isn't exactly as the doctor ordered. Had a helluva time trying to keep him still, would need three pairs of hands to hold him, open his mouth, and get the drops in. I watched him eat each flower, at least, so I know the drops got in there. If anyone has a good way of getting oral meds into an ornery tortoise, please post it! Thanks!

Here is Jetta not being amused:

UmqKX9C.jpg

(Yes, bandage needs changing, but I'm giving him a break from handling for a bit, will do the dressing change later today. It's more for sun protection than wound protection, but still, I change it daily.)

greenighs

Okay, just did a search on his meds and found out Ivermectin is toxic, possible fatal, to tortoises. Call in to vet, but this is the vet who prescribed them (found him on the vet list here). So, HFS, what do I do?

greenighs

Okay, just did a search on his meds and found out Ivermectin is toxic, possible fatal, to tortoises. Call in to vet, but this is the vet who prescribed them (found him on the vet list here). So, HFS, what do I do?

According to Melissa Kaplan's Herp Care Collection, http://www.anapsid.org/resources/rxdose.html:

Ivermectin is administered in near-toxic doses to be effective, and must be repeated often 3 times to be as effective as the far less toxic fenbendazole. Merck, the maker of ivermectin, does not recommend its use in reptiles. Often fatal or nearly so to small, debilitated reptiles. May cause paralysis, blindness, etc. in larger reptiles. Its use is not recommended for lizards and snakes; it is nearly always fatal when used in turtles and tortoises. Ivermectin toxicity includes paralysis and blindness.​

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
worming medicines are poisons so they're toxic. doesn't mean that it will kill them just don't overdose. I wonder if anyone has used D Earth to treat parasites in tortoises?

greenighs

Maybe there is a difference between oral and injected doses. I'm praying so. I called my vet, but they were useless. The reptile/bird vet only works two days a week, and apparently can't be phone for emergencies, if the concern of a patient's owner over a med's toxicity or fatality is even considered an emergency. Whoever I spoke to in the office told me that people often go on the internet and find find information that contradicts theirs and it makes things harder for them. For them, the vet's staff. I admit, I hung up on them after a few choice words.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
this is not a complicated question for them they should have the answer somewhere there

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Ivermectin is fatal for tortoises. If a tortoise eats dog poop from a dog that has been treated with heart medicine or Ivermectin, the tortoise will die. I'm not sure if drops on a piece of food would be enough to kill a tortoise, but I would NOT give any more, and I would copy out that Melissa Kaplan article shown above and take it to your vet.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
How dare you inconvenience them wanting to know if they are trying to kill your tortoise. I get their point, but customer service dictates a much better answer. I would find a new vet. Hope he is going to be ok.

greenighs

I called another vet, in another town, and he said Ivermectin should not be given to tortoises. He said I should watch Jetta and if he stops eating or moving, I should bring him in. I'm going to keep Jetta inside for observation until I'm sure he's okay, then I'll bring him to the new doctor to treat his pinworms with a suitable medication, once (if) he gets over this medication debacle.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I called another vet, in another town, and he said Ivermectin should not be given to tortoises. He said I should watch Jetta and if he stops eating or moving, I should bring him in. I'm going to keep Jetta inside for observation until I'm sure he's okay, then I'll bring him to the new doctor to treat his pinworms with a suitable medication, once (if) he gets over this medication debacle.
Good luck. We're thinking of you.

greenighs

Ivermectin is fatal for tortoises. If a tortoise eats dog poop from a dog that has been treated with heart medicine or Ivermectin, the tortoise will die. I'm not sure if drops on a piece of food would be enough to kill a tortoise, but I would NOT give any more, and I would copy out that Melissa Kaplan article shown above and take it to your vet.

I got the vet's name from the list here at Tortoise forum, btw. Not sure if this situation is enough to delete the name, but thought I'd mention it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

I would also soak him in warmish water for long periods of time, changing out the water as the tortoise poops and pees in it. A half hour at a time or even longer is not unreasonable to help flush out his system.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I got the vet's name from the list here at Tortoise forum, btw. Not sure if this situation is enough to delete the name, but thought I'd mention it.

I will remove his name from our list if you let me know who it is. We didn't 'vet' the vets on the list, but merely called and asked if they treat tortoises. An affirmative response added them to our list.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
I am so sorry you had this happen. What's your location? I want to be sure the vet I took my babies to is not this same one. Ours was only well check without fecal.

greenighs

Jetta had a scary night, hadn't eaten and went "to bed" in his hide very early for him (he's an active little guy). But the next morning he seemed to be okay. I've been soaking him and it's cleaned him out a bit. I'm keeping him indoors in the evening for observation to and to keep him warmer than he'd be out in the yard (he ignores his heated hide and buries himself in the mulch instead).

As we speak, Jetta is trying to climb his way out of his warm bath, so his energy seems to be getting back to normal.

I live in Fremont, California, @Pearly, in the east area of San Francisco Bay. The vet who prescribed the Ivermectin is no longer on the forum vet list, so that might help reassure you. Although, he did call me on his day off and reassured me that the solution was very dilute. I'm not sure what to think, actually, as he did seem to care. His staff is rubbish, though, as far as I'm concerned.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Some vets are open to learning more. Others assume that they already know every thing. That's why it's SO IMPORTANT to have an exotic animal vet that has actual experience in tortoise care.