Jetta failed his fecal test. Pinworms.

greenighs

How is he doing?
He seems to be over any detrimental effects of the medication! I'm still giving him warm water soaks twice a day and keeping him indoors at night for extra warmth and protection, but his activity level and appetite seem to be back to normal! He still needs to be treated for pinworms, but I'm giving him another week before I bring him to the new vet.
:<3::tort:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
As they say on Whose Line Is It Anyway, another crisis averted!!

SueieM

Somerset, MA
I would also soak him in warmish water for long periods of time, changing out the water as the tortoise poops and pees in it. A half hour at a time or even longer is not unreasonable to help flush out his system.
See, Yvonne, this is just what I was talking about when I said that many vets say they know about reptiles, but they DON'T. Here is MA where I live I've looked for miles and miles for an exotic or reptile vet and I cannot find one. I did take my sulcatta to a vet who "knew about reptiles and tortoises" about 2 yrs. ago when my tortoise didn't seem himself and hadn't pooped and was not active. That vet took Xrays and then told us that he things we should EUTHANIZE him! My husband said absolutely NOT! We paid him about $100 for the visit and took him home. I came on this forum and asked for advice and was told to keep soaking him which I did for the whole next day in my tub constantly warming the water, letting him soak, took him out for awhile, put him back in the tub, over and over, and low and behold, he made tons of poop! So all that was wrong was him is that he was constipated and that vet had us EUTHANIZING HIM! So see what I mean. Where are all of the Dr. K's (exotic vet in FL who is exceptional, that I see on Animal Planet? LOL? Safe tos say there aren't many, especially in the northeast. So my advice is to always investigate what these so-called "reptile vets" tell you to do with people on thie forum who have years of experience with tortoises just to double-check what your vet is telling you and the meds they want you to give them. Look at how dangerous this one was giving this guy's tortoise Ivermectin!!

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
I have an Exotics Vet in Tucson that I would like to recommend be added to the Veterinary list in Arizona on this Forum.

Dr. Yeager knows tortoises! I've taken all my breeder Russians (which are WC) to her for exams and treatment when a few of them had pinworms (given Panacur to treat) and one got an RI. All are perfectly healthy now. She asked me all about my care and husbandry too, which I've never experienced with past Vets! She is thorough and calls personally to follow-up during treatments. Her prices are also very fair (less than $50 for a wellness exam) and she gives a discount for multiple tortoises brought in at the same time. I highly recommend her to any other tortoise owners in Tucson, Arizona.

Sonoran Veterinary Center
Dr. Julie Yeager
7637 E Speedway Blvd, Tucson, AZ 85710
(520) 886-8888
www.sonoranvet.com