Jobs with animals

CathyNed

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mayo, Ireland
Thank you :)
Your pics are great. Hobby or career keep it up! Id say take part in volunteer programmes and internships etc and see what you like. Its very hard to decide careers with no experience of what you will actually end up doing once qualified. The more things you try out the clearer what you enjoy or dislike will become! Good luck!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Not sure where you are exactly @spudthetortoise, but you should research the Internet for voluntary opportunities where you are.

The local naturalists' trusts and other wildlife organisations usually have young volunteer sections so you can join in and get involved.

Then there's the more obvious places like animal shelters.

As you're in the UK, I might be able to help you look - PM me your home town/first part of your postcode if you would like me to help.

My interests, picked up by my children, started with my family joining a naturalists society in a town in Yorkshire. My sister and I used to spend weekends out on the moors helping qualified bird ringers.

One of the biology teachers in my school also ran a natural history club because she was interested. We got to go small mammal trapping on the school field and all sorts. It might be worth getting to know your teachers and see if one of them might be doing it as an extra curricular activity. (Similarly with a camera club given your interest by the way)

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
Not sure where you are exactly @spudthetortoise, but you should research the Internet for voluntary opportunities where you are.

The local naturalists' trusts and other wildlife organisations usually have young volunteer sections so you can join in and get involved.

Then there's the more obvious places like animal shelters.

As you're in the UK, I might be able to help you look - PM me your home town/first part of your postcode if you would like me to help.

My interests, picked up by my children, started with my family joining a naturalists society in a town in Yorkshire. My sister and I used to spend weekends out on the moors helping qualified bird ringers.

One of the biology teachers in my school also ran a natural history club because she was interested. We got to go small mammal trapping on the school field and all sorts. It might be worth getting to know your teachers and see if one of them might be doing it as an extra curricular activity. (Similarly with a camera club given your interest by the way)
I was thinking of volunteering in a nearby cat home with my friend. I need to look into it and see what age we need to be. :) thanks for the help

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
I worked with a wildlife rehabber. Her days are crazy, bc she has to have a day job. The state does not fund the rehab. it is all on her and donations. It is not easy to keep donations coming in. So she is a teacher and then she works at the rehab, she has to have volunteers who want to deal with stinky animal poop, and vicious angry animals. I became the bat person bc i had gone to Texas to train for it. then she let me take them home and i worked off her license. it is a life without vacations. A life of waking up all hours to feed baby animals. of phone calls every hour of the day or night. It is a difficult life. I'm not saying it isn't rewarding, but once you get into it, it is difficult to get out. I would go with something like a vet or groomer, or have a doggy day care..

CathyNed

5 Year Member
Mayo, Ireland
Ooooh what grade ?
I work in a small school here in Ireland in a rural area. There are only three teachers and 74 pupils in the school. I teach 10, 11 and 12 year olds in the same classroom. I think thats 5th 6th and 7th grades in the U.S. We do not have a junior high school and senior high school system here in Ireland. Here children attend primary school/elementary until 12 and secondary school/ high school 13-17/18. I currently have 20 children in my classroom but the average is usually 25-30.

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
I work in a small school here in Ireland in a rural area. There are only three teachers and 74 pupils in the school. I teach 10, 11 and 12 year olds in the same classroom. I think thats 5th 6th and 7th grades in the U.S. We do not have a junior high school and senior high school system here in Ireland. Here children attend primary school/elementary until 12 and secondary school/ high school 13-17/18. I currently have 20 children in my classroom but the average is usually 25-30.
Ive studied about teaching this way , probably in my first few early childhood classes. Is it difficult having different aged children to teach? Or is it easier, as you can plan for students on different levels, despite their age?

CathyNed

5 Year Member
Mayo, Ireland
Ive studied about teaching this way , probably in my first few early childhood classes. Is it difficult having different aged children to teach? Or is it easier, as you can plan for students on different levels, despite their age?
Imagine a 5th grade class of 25. You would have many differing abilities within that group of 25. Some of my 5th grade are as able as my high ability 6th grade. Somr of my 6th grade are preforming as well as or better than my 7th. I can group by abilty for some subjects/tasks and mix ability for other things. I have fluidity with my groupings. Kids dont really know im ability grouping they just see it as me mixing them up.