Jordanian Greek Diet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
WI
Hi there...well, I searched through all of the back logged posts here (and in Greek Geeks)

and I can't find ANY listing of what kind of veggies (and fruits) are OK
to feed to my adult Jordanian Greek Tortoise.

All of the care sheets I have seen only say a diet of mixed greens and veggies. (but it does not specify what)

I am feeding organic spring mix as of now, and he has cuttle bones available. He ate really well tonight, and did eat a couple of small chunks of zucchini (like 4 pieces the size of nickels). I figured it would be ok because it is a squash.

I would really appreciate a listing...this is my first tort and i want to make sure that he gets a PROPER and varied diet.

Please let me know

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
The only fruit would be tomato once in a while. All other fruit has to much available sugar for Greek tortoises. All the squashes are fine to feed tortoises.

Danny

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Thanks Danny... can you list any other veggies that would be good choices for me?

Can he have fruit once and a while as a treat? He had a grape tonight...
thats not going to hurt him is it?

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
The grape shouldn't hurt him, but feeding to many or to often can. It's just better not to feed fruit at all.
There isn't much you should be feeding vegetable wise to tortoises. You can try Bell peppers, in any color. Some tortoises will eat them and some won't, but they are fine to feed.
It's best to stick with the greens and the squashes.

Danny

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
so, as a list of good foods so far I have:

>Bell pepper (I bought a green one tonight too)
>Squash (Zucchini, butternut, pumpkin-can i used canned? acorn--
and what about spaghetti squash?)
>mixed greens
>tomato (how often?)

I've also heard of
>endive
>kale
>Broccoli
>yams
>cauliflower
>cucumber
>carrots

But I don't know if those are OK for him.
(And which ones do i need to cook first.)

Would you recommend getting him some cactus pads? (and what about the fruit) There's an ad on here for some w/ free shipping but I wasn't sure, and wanted to check before I ordered. And how much should he have weekly if I get it?

Also, my supplement powder has calcium, phosphorus, vit A, vit D3, vit C and beta carotene in it. How many times a week should his food be dusted with it?

Thanks for all the help...I really appreciate it.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
No canned squash, but frozen (not prepared) is fine
Yes spaghetti squash is fine
Tomatoes once every couple of weeks
Curly endive is a green and is fine, Belgian endive is not
Kale is a green and should be fed no more than once a week
Broccoli can be feed once every 2 to 4 weeks, not good to feed more often
Yams no to much simple sugars
Cauliflower no
Cucumber no it's just water. Good for tortoises that are dehydrated, but thats all
Carrots once every couple of weeks
Catus pads are fine. The fruit shouldn't be fed to Greeks. Just that all tortoises don't like cactus pads. Mine won't eat them so I don't get them.

You'll have to find out what your Greek will eat and not eat by trial and error. Keep trying a food they won't eat every couple of months as sometimes they will need a change.

Once a week is fine for your supplement.

Danny

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Should he get some veggies w/ every feeding,
or just like, three times a week or something?

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Vegetables should be done once a week at most. Any more than that can cause loose stool.

Danny

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Thanks Danny. So he should have spring mix everyday,
veggies one a week, supplement once a week.
and tomatoes every two or three?

Also, should I soak him? Cvalda said he was a self-soaker
and since yesterday, he's been in his water dish at least twice.

His lights go on at 7:30 and stay on till 9:30...is that enough
daylight time for him?

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Yes :)

If he's using his water dish, you can soak him every 2 weeks.

That light length is just fine.

Danny

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
I just gotta add this to that incomplete plant list... Mazuri... they love it and do quite well on it... complete... and simple.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Hi EJ. I have yet to find a complete plant list for tortoises. But I agree if you are going to feed a manufactured food I would only suggest Mazuri. However I would always use it as a supplement to greens, not as an only food (my personal preference and what Mazuri suggests). But there are many, many plants out there that Tortoises can eat. And not all Torts like Mazuri but my dogs’ sure do like the tortoise Mazuri. :)

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
Lin Kings/ tlady puts out one of if not the best plant list available. She keeps it updated and adds to it.

Cats and other critters like it also.

Crazy1 said:
Hi EJ. I have yet to find a complete plant list for tortoises. But I agree if you are going to feed a manufactured food I would only suggest Mazuri. However I would always use it as a supplement to greens, not as an only food (my personal preference and what Mazuri suggests). But there are many, many plants out there that Tortoises can eat. And not all Torts like Mazuri but my dogs’ sure do like the tortoise Mazuri. :)

BigBiscuit

5 Year Member
Iowa, U.S.
-EJ said:
I just gotta add this to that incomplete plant list... Mazuri... they love it and do quite well on it... complete... and simple.

Since I am so new to the tortoise world, I was actually looking around the produce section at the grocery store for "Mazuri." Now I feel like a heel. :)

Evan

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
This is what I suggest also but I know it can be fet alone.

Crazy1 said:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
BigBiscuit said:
Since I am so new to the tortoise world, I was actually looking around the produce section at the grocery store for "Mazuri." Now I feel like a heel. :)

Evan

Thanks for the chuckle, Evan!! Think of how you would feel if you had flagged down the produce guy and asked him where they kept the Mazuri!! If you go to a feed store that sells horse and cattle food you can ask them to order Mazuri Tortoise Diet for you. Its put out by the Purina Co. If you go to their web page there's a place where you can find out if there's a dealer near you.

https://www.mazuri.com/Home.asp?Products=2&Opening=4

Yvonne

Status
Not open for further replies.