Juno's winter enclosure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PoisonOrchid

5 Year Member
Due to a series of unfortunate events, my cousin and her parents now live with me. Having 2 convertibles in the house(on is mine(i cant drive yet and I have mt own car!) and the other is theirs), we must park them indoors(Modesto has a high car theft rate).
This is taking up sooo much room that Juno has to be outside for the winter. :(
But never fear! I have a solution! :)
When we got rid of my chickens(in order to get Juno), I demolished the coop, but kept the frame together.
We started cleaning my back yard and decided to use the coop as Juno's outdoor home, in the porch
SO I took my 30 gal breeder tank and pushed it into the frame. Then I pushed it against the wall so the tank is sheleter from all sides.
Right now, I am using a light fixture for a china cabinet(it has very little warmth but its better than having her in 60 degree weather), but soon I will get an under tank heater and a heat lamp(since I can supplement her Vit. D, and she will go outside on warmer sunnier days). I'll probably go to the pet store on Wednesday. Or maybe a personal heater that will sit outside of the tank.
I filled it up with organic soil(about 2 inches) and added a slate rock(for feeding and heating) and a water dish. There is no hide yet, but I will make her one by tomorrow.
I put her in and added some dandelions and lettuce. She is moving VERY slowly and eating VERY slowly. She pooped already too :p
Here are pictures.

The shelter
t5.jpg

I use a blanket to keep some humidity in.
t4.jpg

Close looks

t3.jpg

t2.jpg

t1.jpg

She is pretty warm and its about 70 F in there. With the heaters she will be warm. :)

B

byerssusan

Hi I really can't make out the enclosure to well. How big is your tort? The enclosure looks awful small but who am I to say..Can't really see your tort either. I love looking at others tortoises..is there anyway you could post more?

PoisonOrchid

5 Year Member
After more searching.
I decided that the light I am currently using will stay. On dark and rainy days, it will be on.
However, I found a great deal. When spmeone buys baby chicks, they get a brooder light to keep them warm. For $12 I can get a fixture and 5 a black light bulb(for night time use). I can keep the heater on 24/7 and the regular light on when its dark during the day. No under tank heater.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Why do I remember this tortoise? Did you have another thread about her...something about folks not allowing her in the house but aok to keep her in the garage????? What type of tortoise is this ? and where do you live? :D

PoisonOrchid

5 Year Member
She is a Leopard tortie. Yes I did. :)
And she is about 5-6 inches. Sorta rescued from the pet store since the people are dumb there.
In Modesto Ca. :)

PoisonOrchid

5 Year Member
I added the day heat light bulb. The store said that they'd give me the night bulb for free when they get a shipment it. It stays warm in there at 2 am in the morning when its raining. So I'm guessing she should be fine. :) I dont think she likes the lack of space, but that is all I can do at the moment.

PoisonOrchid

5 Year Member
8 by 10 outside. It was big pen. I do let her graze for 3 hrs now that she's in the winter enclosure

M

Maggie Cummings

I wouldn't have any humidity this winter. As long as she can go out and graze some she'll be better off without any humidity. I think 70 degrees is too cold , humidity is moisture and could start an URTI. Can't you buy a dogloo on Craigslist? Or even a regular dog house, one of those rubber maid deck boxes with holes cut in for light bulbs. Anything bigger so she can get some exercise this winter. There are lots of bigger things that would suffice for the winter if you'd just use your imagination.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I completely agree with Maggie. Keep in mind you do not want moisture and cold combined...as this equals nothing good. I wonder? You say that you have two cars in the garage...is there truly no room in their on a shelf or in a non drafty corner to set her up in a warmer location? :shy::shy:

I meant "there" and not "their" what a duhhhh :p

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
is this shelf able to house a rubbermaid tub that you can run the lights to and kinda put the top partially covering the opening to retain heat and such?????

PoisonOrchid

5 Year Member
Won't a rubbermaid melt? Like on the sides?

After placing glass ontop and leaving small openings(ventilation), the tank is staying at a nice 83 around the basking area and 79-77 by the darker side.

Status
Not open for further replies.