JUS ORDERED THE NEW RED TORT STICKS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SILVERSTAR

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
sacramento california
They say its the new thing and it being used at zoos and wut not......it should be here in a week so ill let everyone know how my stars take to it.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
RE: JUS ORDERED THE NEW RED MAZURI LIKE TORT STICKS.

Neat!

coastal

10 Year Member!
Florida

My stars like it, even the ones that wont touch Mazuri! I'm shipping a free sample pack with any Mazuri order right now so everyone that wants to try it can. I should mention that this product is made from human grade ingredients. So if you wanted to snack on it too you could... I will also have a much larger excursion size ready by the end of the week. So people with large to huge adults wont have to use a bunch of little pieces.
redburms.jpg

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California

Wow I haven't heard of that. What are the ingredients?

Nevermind. Coastal had them on the website.

This food is wheat gluten free and uses only plant proteins with very high quality ingredients not seen in any other commercial food of its kind. Highly palatable to even the most picky eaters. The food is available in three pellet sizes, unlike Mazuri it's also red in color which we all know attracts tortoises. This food has been used and tested on a variety of reptiles, with the main focus on desert tortoises (similar to Mazuri and Galapagos). The food proving itself with many zoos around the world. It's made in the USA and available by the pound or 25 pound bag. It's a hidden Jewel waiting to be used! Photo is of the actual product.

Ingredients

Soybean meal, corn gluten meal, soybean hulls, sugar beet pulp, corn hominy feed, yellow corn, sucrose, dehydrated alfalfa meal, zinc sulfate, soybean oil (stabilized), dicalcium phosphate, flaxseed oil, niacin supplement, apple fiber, manganese sulfate, ferrous sulfate, calcium carbonate, d-calcium pantothenate, sodium chloride, copper sulfate, L-lysine, riboflavin supplement, thiamin mononitrate, cobalt oxide, folic acid, menadione nicotinamide bisulfite (vitamin K), pyridoxine HCL (vitamin B-6), l-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), propionic acid, choline chloride, ethylenediamine dihydriodide, FDC # 40, biotin, sodium selenite, vitamin B-12 supplement, vitamin A supplement, vitamin D-3 supplement, vitamin E supplement.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA

interesting.... i guess the color is from the beets and not dye...
Does Coastal make it?

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.

Is FDC # 40 Red dye? I know the red dye that so many people are having bad side effects from and has been outlawed in some contries is commonly called Red # 40. So I am just wondering....

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California

From Red40.com

The US Food and Drug Administration divides food colorants into two categories:

Certifiable Color Additives which are derived from petroleum distillates or coal tars and are essentially synthetic chemicals created in laboratories. These are often referred to as "artificial" colors.

Exempt Color Additives are derived from plant, animal or mineral sources which have been processed in some way. The layman might call these "natural" colors because of their origins, though it's likely they've come out of a factory or chemical plant just like certifiable colors.

Red #40 Orange-Red [Allura Red] Gelatins, puddings, dairy products, confections, beverages, condiments

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Glenmoore, PA

I haven't heard of it, the ingredients make it sound like it should be fed more as a treat than a diet...?

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal

The color is going to be a big indicator...because almost all grassland tortoises are attracted to food items that are bright red or orange...

coastal

10 Year Member!
Florida

Just to settle any fears, there is a red human grade food coloring used to make the product a uniform color. This is so the animals are attracted to it. With out it each batch of food would have a different color to it.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal

coastal said:
Just to settle any fears, there is a red human grade food coloring used to make the product a uniform color. This is so the animals are attracted to it. With out it each batch of food would have a different color to it.

Are you carrying this as well John?

Nevermind! Just found 'em on your website:)

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado

DeanS said:
The color is going to be a big indicator...because almost all grassland tortoises are attracted to food items that are bright red or orange...

Boxies are also attracted to red, since many fruits are that color (e.g., tomatoes, strawberries, raspberries).

I'm really curious about this product. Those of you who have started using it, please update us and let us know what you think.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California

I see this as a future "Is mazuri a good staple diet??" type debatable thread here, coming soon.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Yeah, who makes it?

Very interesting. I wouldn't mind giving it a try. Sounds pretty similar to Mazuri, except for the color.

Cfr200

10 Year Member!
Springfield, Mo

I just got mine today in the mail, now on to give my two sulcatas some and see what they think. I am going to put some next to their normal Mazuri and see what happens. I will report back with the results. My guess is they will clean their plates because we all know sulcatas are just pigs with a shell.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California

Cfr200 said:
I just got mine today in the mail, now on to give my two sulcatas some and see what they think. I am going to put some next to their normal Mazuri and see what happens. I will report back with the results. My guess is they will clean their plates because we all know sulcatas are just pigs with a shell.

where did you purchase yours from? Coastal?

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV

Interesting, wouldn't mind at least trying it..

Cfr200

10 Year Member!
Springfield, Mo

FernandoM said:
Cfr200 said:

where did you purchase yours from? Coastal?

Yes I ordered it on Saturday

My guys stared at it for a few minutes and then ate it all up, they then moved onto eating all the Mazuri. I will give it a try, my guys get outside everyday now and eat grass and weeds mostly. I see no problem giving them the Red sticks and Mazuri in addition to their greens.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.

So did we figure out if it has red 40 in it? Human grade color additives unfortunatelly are not really safe for humans. No.... it does not kill us, but it does cause other problems. Red 40 has been known to cause hyper activity in children, migranes and my niece had really bad kidney problems from it. After my sister cut red 40 out of her diet her kidney problems went away.
This is what my sister learned. Red 40 has not been proven unsafe so in the U.S. it is legal for food companys to use it. In a lot of European contries they take a different approach, it has not been proven safe so it can not be used. I will try it if it does not have Red 40 in it. If it does my torts will have to skip it :(

Status
Not open for further replies.