JUS ORDERED THE NEW RED TORT STICKS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
emysemys said:
Its just that after seeing the red food referred to in the same breath as Mazuri, I started to realize that if Mazuri were MY product I would be offended if other products were being referred to with my name. And a representative from Mazuri is a member here. Sort of like, "The silk worms like Coastal silkworms."

That's interesting. Has that member ever chimed in on one of the common Mazuri thread before?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
They've been a member since March, and they are a Tortoise Forum Sponsor. So far they haven't made any posts.

Mao Senpai

5 Year Member
North Carolina
Red tortoise sticks sounded fine to me :p
On another note... just be aware that there is a significant amount more protein in these red tortoise sticks. Mazuri was pretty high but these seem to be much higher.

Taken from Coastals site
Crude Protein, min. 23.0 %; Crude Fat, min. 6.5 %; Crude Fiber, max.10.0 %; Avail. Iron, max, 120 ppm; Moisture, max. 10.0 %; Acid Detergent Fiber, min. 13.0 % ; Acid Detergent Fiber, max. 16.0 %; Ash, max. 7.0 %.

If I'm not mistaken the ratio is 2:1 protein to fiber ratio? So... I guess for the fiber happy type of tortoise feed this as a varied diet~ and not overload on it!

JeffG

5 Year Member
Arizona
Doesn't the red stuff have a name on the bag from the company that produces it? I think the Mazuri bag says "Mazuri Tortoise Diet". Does the red stuff say something like "Marion Tortoise Diet"? If that's the case, wouldn't it be natural to call it "Marion"?

October

5 Year Member
San Tan Valley, Arizona
JeffG said:
Doesn't the red stuff have a name on the bag from the company that produces it? I think the Mazuri bag says "Mazuri Tortoise Diet". Does the red stuff say something like "Marion Tortoise Diet"? If that's the case, wouldn't it be natural to call it "Marion"?

That's a good idea since we're going off the brand name of Mazuri for the "brown food" anyway.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Ok, so after a week or so of feeding Cooper "the red stuff", he really likes it. Its the first thing he goes after. But I do have another question; Cooper is a 7 month old sully and is about 225 grams, how often should I feed him a day? I have been doing twice but my wife thinks I'm feeding him to much. I think if the chow hound didn't want it he wouldn't eat it. What are your thoughts? Thanks so much for your input!!

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
cemmons12 said:
Ok, so after a week or so of feeding Cooper "the red stuff", he really likes it. Its the first thing he goes after. But I do have another question; Cooper is a 7 month old sully and is about 225 grams, how often should I feed him a day? I have been doing twice but my wife thinks I'm feeding him to much. I think if the chow hound didn't want it he wouldn't eat it. What are your thoughts? Thanks so much for your input!!

Basically, at that age, the more good food he eats, the faster he'll grow (I assume Cooper gets grass and weeds, along w/ the red stuff)...some folks feel like that in the wild, a tortoise doesn't get to eat every day, so in captivity, it should go hungry about as much,...others say "poppycock" (or some less savory term :p).

How fast would you like Cooper to get large?

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Terry Allan Hall said:
cemmons12 said:

Basically, at that age, the more good food he eats, the faster he'll grow (I assume Cooper gets grass and weeds, along w/ the red stuff)...some folks feel like that in the wild, a tortoise doesn't get to eat every day, so in captivity, it should go hungry about as much,...others say "poppycock" (or some less savory term :p).

Well I don't want him to grow "to fast" just at a normal growth rate. So I will just stick to the twice a day thing for now I guess. He gets the red sticks, organic mixed baby greens, organic romain, grass I got from a website that sells mixed seeds that are suppose to be what they eat in the wild, cactus, he has a cuddle fish bone that he loves to bite on. And I still give him mazuri too cause I don't want it to go to waste. Sounds like a lot but I don't give him that much at one time. Maybe 2 of the red sticks 1 piece of mazuri, and I have a chopper that I put the greens in and he gets about 1and a half to 2 teaspoons of that. So I hope that is good....

SILVERSTAR

5 Year Member
sacramento california
im jus gonna call em red tort sticks like i have been but anyway yeah my stars do ok on it,i feel like ive fed em more red sticks than i have mazuri and like sumone said they soak way faster and dont stay hard in the middle like mazuri does,,,,,,i would have to say i like em for now and the poopwasnt red but it did seem to have more solidity to it,

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
cemmons12 said:
Terry Allan Hall said:
cemmons12 said:

Well I don't want him to grow "to fast" just at a normal growth rate. So I will just stick to the twice a day thing for now I guess. He gets the red sticks, organic mixed baby greens, organic romain, grass I got from a website that sells mixed seeds that are suppose to be what they eat in the wild, cactus, he has a cuddle fish bone that he loves to bite on. And I still give him mazuri too cause I don't want it to go to waste. Sounds like a lot but I don't give him that much at one time. Maybe 2 of the red sticks 1 piece of mazuri, and I have a chopper that I put the greens in and he gets about 1and a half to 2 teaspoons of that. So I hope that is good....

SILVERSTAR said:
im jus gonna call em red tort sticks like i have been but anyway yeah my stars do ok on it,i feel like ive fed em more red sticks than i have mazuri and like sumone said they soak way faster and dont stay hard in the middle like mazuri does,,,,,,i would have to say i like em for now and the poopwasnt red but it did seem to have more solidity to it,

Sounds like a plan, then.

I, too, am mixing my remaining Mazuri with the red stuff, as they eat it more enthusiastically mixed together than by itself, but I don't know that I'll be buying more Mazuri unless I see evidence that mixing the two together has any benefits. And I just ordered 2 more pounds, as I figure that'll get them through summer and into fall, at least (figuring on giving 4 small-adult E. Hermann's torts red-stuff mixed w/ greens 2-3X a week)

And I, too, looked to see if the red stuff gave the tort-poop red coloring, but it seems to be the same color as before...

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Yesterday out of curiosity, I mixed Mazuri with Marion, Zooland Tortoise food and Cactus. Andy literally got "wide-eyed" and could not control himself. He took bite after bite, got about half way done, walked to his corner and fell asleep. It was hilarious.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I have been mixing it with Mazuri and it is a hit so far..

Thats funny about Andy..Vegas did the same thing when I feed him Mazuri for the first time..

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Ok, I have more questions.. 1: has anybodys tort got the runs from the red sticks? 2: could the cactus I got give him the runs if I gave him too much? Normally he has very hard poo, but not today! Thanks again!!!

coastal

10 Year Member!
Florida
Cactus can do that, especially if its your torts first time eating it. It should firm up after he gets use to processing the cactus.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
cemmons12 said:
Ok, I have more questions.. 1: has anybodys tort got the runs from the red sticks? 2: could the cactus I got give him the runs if I gave him too much? Normally he has very hard poo, but not today! Thanks again!!!

I feed both cactus and the sticks alone (on different days), and occasionally mixed...poo is never "runny" but never "hard", either...rather, about 1/2-way between those two extremes, about like damp clay, perhaps.

Let me ask: how often are you soaking your tort?

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Terry Allan Hall said:
cemmons12 said:

I feed both cactus and the sticks alone (on different days), and occasionally mixed...poo is never "runny" but never "hard", either...rather, about 1/2-way between those two extremes, about like damp clay, perhaps.

Let me ask: how often are you soaking your tort?
I soak Cooper every other day. I think its just because its new to him as I ordered it along with the red sticks a couple weeks ago. Thanks for your input!! Hoping it gets to the damp clay like your torts tho.

coastal said:
Cactus can do that, especially if its your torts first time eating it. It should firm up after he gets use to processing the cactus.

Thanks for the reply John! I was hoping you would chime in on this one since I got it from ya! :)

HarleyK

5 Year Member
RE: JUS ORDERED THE NEW RED MAZURI LIKE TORT STICKS.

October said:
Got mine today too. I'll try it on all the girls tomorrow. From a human standpoint, the tortoise sticks smell better than Mazuri, but that's just me. I know it sounds weird, but my kids and I ate one. Tastes kinda like hay. LOL

lol at that :D

Status
Not open for further replies.