Just adopted 3 very sick baby desert tortoises. Need help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
I dont know if it pertains to tortoises.. but with other baby critters.. some baby food has onion in it.. DONT use that one. read the label.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The brand I have is Vita-sol, but I've seen Danny recommend something like 8in1

Sudhira

5 Year Member
Our CDT had soft plastron when we adopted him, the vet gave us calcium glubionate to administer every day. Not to allow temps below 75, and of course a high quality diet comprised of spring mix and weeds. It has really worked, the plastron is definitely firming after 3 months & the little guy is doing well.

jmu114

10 Year Member!
Riverside County, Southern California
Thank you all for your input. I will be going to the petstore again tomorrow. Here are some photos from today. no flash was used.

DSC02901.JPG

Heidi sleeping after food soak

DSC02894.JPG

Frosty and Frank in food soak

DSC02908.JPG

Frosty eating after soak

DSC02911.JPG

Frank and Frosty

DSC02915.JPG

Frank up close and personal

DSC02904.JPG

Frank again

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I have said it before but if they are eating it should be taken as a good sign. here's hoping.

Sudhira

5 Year Member
Oh they are darling! Have a go at the liquid calcium glubionate..can't wait to hear good news about your trio!

HappyDT

5 Year Member
i just got the connection for heidi, frosty & frank - they're radio personalities. good one. good luck with the little ones.

M

Maggie Cummings

It really looks like you are doing a great job. I am really pleased with their reactions...

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Definitely keep up with those soaks, and you can even put some of the baby food on their food. The swollen eyes on the one baby looks like a serious Vitamin A deficiency. If you can find and get them to eat Broad Leaf Plantain, even better, it has more Vit. A than carrots even.

It is a very common weed, grows all over the US. Just make sure to pick from a pesticide/dog free area.

broadleafplantain-300.jpg

jmu114

10 Year Member!
Thanks everyone.

I am heading to a pet store as soon as I get off work in a few hours.

Is liquid calcium glubionate Rx only?

Kyryah - thanks for the photo! I will look for those in my backyard...good thing we dont' use pesticides. You also answered my curiosity about their puffy eyes! Thanks!

I am doing the best I can...but I am worry about Heidi. She is not very reactive to anything, and I realized her bottom shell is not only soft, it is a little translucent... fingers crossed.

M

Maggie Cummings

jmu114 said:
Thanks everyone.

I am heading to a pet store as soon as I get off work in a few hours.

Is liquid calcium glubionate Rx only?

Kyryah - thanks for the photo! I will look for those in my backyard...good thing we dont' use pesticides. You also answered my curiosity about their puffy eyes! Thanks!

I am doing the best I can...but I am worry about Heidi. She is not very reactive to anything, and I realized her bottom shell is not only soft, it is a little translucent... fingers crossed.

When you look at her plastron and move it back and forth can you see a liquid moving back and forth? You are doing a great job. They would all be dead now if it wasn't for you...

Skyler Nell

5 Year Member
Southern CA
Seems to me like they're all improving.
You're doing a great job :)
Best of luck!
I was in a similar situation with my dt a couple weeks ago, soft shell, swollen eyes and everything, but he's now made a complete turn around. Hope the same for yours!
I'm not that experienced but I just went through it, so if you have any questions I'd be happy to help!

jmu114

10 Year Member!
maggie3fan said:
When you look at her plastron and move it back and forth can you see a liquid moving back and forth? You are doing a great job. They would all be dead now if it wasn't for you...

I just tried but can't really tell. That's a good sign I hope.

Skyler, I am so glad your DT made a full recovery! I hope mine will as well. :)

I just want to say to everyone here that I am very grateful for all your support! I can't imagine doing this without you all!

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
Jessica it sounds like you are doing great! I don't have any advice but am following this thread, learning and hoping right along with you. Keep up the good work.

Skyler Nell

5 Year Member
Southern CA
jmu114 said:
maggie3fan said:

I just tried but can't really tell. That's a good sign I hope.

Skyler, I am so glad your DT made a full recovery! I hope mine will as well. :)

I just want to say to everyone here that I am very grateful for all your support! I can't imagine doing this without you all!

If they're eating then that's a great sign!
Many people on here say that once a tortoises shell goes soft they don't have much a chance. But this was the case with my tortoise, and the vet warned me he may not survive. But 3 weeks or so later his shell has hardened up and he is not only surviving but thriving! (Hopefully this gives you some hope, I'm not bragging about my tortoise, just saying it's possible they can recover)
Also, the pictures are soo cute! They look tiny, do you know how old they are??

jmu114

10 Year Member!
Skyler Nell said:
If they're eating then that's a great sign!
Many people on here say that once a tortoises shell goes soft they don't have much a chance. But this was the case with my tortoise, and the vet warned me he may not survive. But 3 weeks or so later his shell has hardened up and he is not only surviving but thriving! (Hopefully this gives you some hope, I'm not bragging about my tortoise, just saying it's possible they can recover)
Also, the pictures are soo cute! They look tiny, do you know how old they are??

It does give me hope! thanks :) I was told they are a year old.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I have a lot of hope for the other two, but I am very worried about Heidi. Once the plastron starts to become translucent and resorb into the body, it is very difficult to save them.

Here is a bit more information on what the poor baby is going through. Good luck, but please don't beat yourself up if she doesn't make it. You have done a wonderful job.

http://www.sulcata-station.org/pdf/hatchfail.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.