Just an observation from an year almost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhaparth2006

5 Year Member
In July 09,I bought myself a baby Indian star tortoise.
He was very stressed for 3 days and did not eat anything.
As soon as I placed him in the sunlight,he started eating.
For about 3 months,his weight was CONSTANT.
I got a bigger star tortoise in September and she was very healthy.
And the food I gave this new one was never before accepted by the old one,lets call the first one 1 and second one 2.
Now as 1 saw 2 eating okras,he also started.
And today is the day after one year that they feed almost entirely on okras,they don't accept anything else.
1's weight was still constant,and I knew he was ill when i got him.Lazy,very light,and dull colours.
And now when I weighed him,I saw a sudden increase of 7 gms.
Thats a pretty small amount but believe me it seems an achievement when the weight has been constant for a year.
So I believe the one year time it took was because it was recovering from its illness.

Below is the weight chart of a Ill Star tortoise,which I now believe to be healthy.

In grams.
Previous records are lost.
Oct 36
Nov 37
Dec 38
Jan 40
Feb 40
Mar 40
May 39
Jun 40
Aug 47

Hope this will help.
Thanks.

ISTortoiseLover

10 Year Member!
very light, constant weight, dull colors...definitely sounds like he got parasites/worms. Bring his poo to the vet to have it looked at. He probably needs medication.

jobeanator

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
northern new york
yeah that does sound like hes got parasites. get a fecal exam done from a vet and you should know if thats the problem

radhika

5 Year Member
ya it is the fact as i also experienced the same with my star also but now she is perfectly all right. she is around 2 3/4" in length and her weight is 89-90gm.

i found her on the rood side and she was suffring from worms, i went to vet and had stool test and so i came to know about it. went i brought her home nearly 7 months ago she was only 35gm. very dull no shin and also had dificulty in walking but now she runs all around in her house also love to climb on the stons and come down again.

i hope my exp. will help u. hope ur little one also get will soon.

samstar

5 Year Member
I picked up my first male Star December last year and he weighed in at 85 grams(2.5 inches SCL). Today 9 months later he weighs 150 grams.

geekinpink

5 Year Member
how much weight increase is the ideal anyway? and how much should a 3.5in SCL star tort weigh?

samstar

5 Year Member
geekinpink said:
how much weight increase is the ideal anyway? and how much should a 3.5in SCL star tort weigh?

There is no hard and fast rule to putting on weight, all depsends on how you take care of them, feed them...
My 3" female weighs in at 200 grams so I would assume a little more for the 3.5".

Status
Not open for further replies.