just an observation....

Status
Not open for further replies.

sara

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wyoming
seems as though tortoise are like pastachios, you cant have just one!
I am courious, what do you do with them when they all grow up and get so big? they are cute as a button as little babies and just so cool when they grow up. But so many folks out there have sooo many. so, what do you do when they grow up?
Do most of you breed them ( wich looks like you do), or are most hobbiest? do you have aplan as what to do with them should something happen to you? I found that I am very particular as to re home just one, I dont think i could home anymore than that, they are just too cute, make great pets, and are very addictive!
:D
I am just courious.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have a pretty large country lot, and each of my different species has its own pen/habitat. The most of any one kind that I have are 3-toed box turtles. Most of them are rescues and are looking for homes. Then I have a few small breeding groups of different kinds of tortoise, except for the Aldabrans (2 males), leopards and Dudley. I had a hard time finding buyers for the baby leopards, so I adopted out the males and kept only two females. So they are just pets. Dudley, is a lonesome 100lb sulcata. He has a very big yard and will probably be with me until one of us departs this mortal plain. I have a plan in place for the tortoises after my demise.

sara

5 Year Member
Wyoming
emysemys said:
I have a pretty large country lot, and each of my different species has its own pen/habitat. The most of any one kind that I have are 3-toed box turtles. Most of them are rescues and are looking for homes. Then I have a few small breeding groups of different kinds of tortoise, except for the Aldabrans (2 males), leopards and Dudley. I had a hard time finding buyers for the baby leopards, so I adopted out the males and kept only two females. So they are just pets. Dudley, is a lonesome 100lb sulcata. He has a very big yard and will probably be with me until one of us departs this mortal plain. I have a plan in place for the tortoises after my demise.
wow! 100 lbs? how big will they get?

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
I've evaluated my space available, budget, etc. and decided that I cannot really offer more than 5 a good life, although I would LOVE to have a huge herd!

Knowing this helps me avoid impulsive actions. I've got 4 little'uns right now and could easily do a lot more... but then what would I do when they grow up and I cannot offer them what they need? I've rehomed several already- I don't want to do that again!

jensgotfaith

5 Year Member
Rocklin, CA
I too know my limits. While I could easily buy more because they are so incredibly cute, I know that once they get bigger, I wouldn't have the room to give them the space they deserve. Unless the hubby and I win the lotto and buy a bigger house and bigger lot, we're done with adding more tortoises.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I too won't have more than I can handle, which is the only reason I do not have a Sulcata this very minute. We are in the process of looking for a bigger house and you can be dang sure that I will be getting a Sulcata once we find one :)

My female Redfoots are my biggest currently - the largest of those is Amara. She is 13-14" long, so a pretty big girl. I have two separate enclosures just for the adult Redfoots, plus one each for my juvie and hatchling, one for all the Russians, a big enclosure for the Home's, etc.

I too have a plan for my tortoises if something happens to me.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
sara said:
wow! 100 lbs? how big will they get?

Some people say that they can get to be 200lbs. But they usually stop growing, or grow very slowly after 150lbs.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I have a nice size box turtle garden, and only have 6 boxies that live in the garden, although I can easily fit a few more. One baby boxie that's inside and won't go out in the garden for another two years. I have two Cherry Heads, and they can have nice indoor enclosures for the Winter, but that's it for the tortoises. Maybe more boxies next Spring. I have made arrangements for all my animals if anything happens to me.

sara

5 Year Member
Wyoming
Well, seems to me that for the most part folks are aware of how many they can handle andknowing that haveing too many would inhibit the the quality of care. I am sure there are some out there who get carried away. kinda like the cat lady with her 100's of cats, only with torts and turts! I prefer hearring about the responsable ones rather than the un responsable.
thank you :)

moswen

5 Year Member
oh my goodness yes they are! i started out this year with one, got 3 babies in feb or so, and now i have 2 more... so i have 6 tortoises!! but to be fair, 3 will live outside when they get older, tula is our permanent house guest/queen bee/resident boss, and the little baby spiders i really chose them because they lack space requirements, and because i can contribute to their re-population in 10 years or so lol... and because they're so freakin' tiny and cute, and beautiful!! but i really should not own any more for the time being, and i know my limits... perhaps when my babies have babies though... ;)

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
The bottom line is to have as many as you want to enjoy, as long as you can devote the proper time and money to care for them and keep them healthy. It can become very costly and very time consuming.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Most of mine are already adults :p :D, simply because I like adults better then the youngsters. Even tho, not much is cuter then a hatchling. I do have worries as to how well I will do with the sulcatas, as the two teens turn into adults. Then again, I worry to some extent to all of them as to how can I improve their enclosures (make them bigger, better, different plants to try, ect..,) My main goal is not to simply have them as breeders, in fact I am in no rush for eggs currently. Right now, I am out on the road making money to go toward their habitats, so I would rather no eggs appeared. I have their well being as the primary goal and a big part of that is improving my ability to care for them and know their needs.

I am lucky that I have quite a sizable amount of yard space I can use. For me it's more about time and of course money to get the things done. When I die (or for some reason just can't care for them) I have plans in place. I try to have at least two options listed for each animal, just in case one plan doesn't work out. Usually the first plan is to offer them back to the folks who gave them to me. Second is normally somebody whom works with that species and shares my beliefs.

My kids have with age and time, gotten to understand my passion for the shells, but with a few exceptions, none of the tortoises or turtles will find homes with them. The kids just don't have the same feelings I have for them. :cool:

Sweetness_bug

5 Year Member
MICHIGAN
It is very addicting cause they are just so darn cute and each one has a different personality. Even when they get bigger there personalitys are so amazing. Its very hard for me to know my limits because i have such a soft spot for animals in general. Every animal and tort i own is a rehome of somekind. I have a large outdoor pen for my sulcata, and one for the russians. and for the leopard. I have a whole room in my house dedicated to my sulcata indoor enclosure. and my other torts indoor winter enclosures. But eventually i am going to run out of room. i still have one more room in the house that is vacant. but i had a friend move in recently who needs a place to stay for a while so it wont be available soon. lol..I eventually want to move out to a bigger home with more property and we have been looking. But we all know how the housing markets are right now. (cant sell mine) As for when i pass I have made arrangement on who will take care of my babies.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I have infected 2 of mt cousin with terminal shellitis. they have both started with some baby RES hatchlings that my turtle club got and they just love them so I have done my duty and brought 2 more into the fold.

sara

5 Year Member
Wyoming
I just love to hear all the dedication these lucky animals get. They really are under rated and un appreciated by the general public. But then agian if the general public were to get too involved, then there may be more problems. kinda like when a movie comes out about a certian kind of dog or horse. Then people go crazy and breed them like crazy. Then there is an over abundance and most go to shelters or sales. not a happy ending.
However, i can see that isnt a problem with the people on this forum. I hope you can all continue to educate and be responsable breeders so these wonderful creatures will be around and avialable so they wont have to be taken out of the wild.
good job everyone!:)

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
sara said:
I just love to hear all the dedication these lucky animals get. They really are under rated and un appreciated by the general public. But then agian if the general public were to get too involved, then there may be more problems. kinda like when a movie comes out about a certian kind of dog or horse. Then people go crazy and breed them like crazy. Then there is an over abundanc agre and most go to shelters or sales. not a happy ending.
However, i can see that isnt a problem with the people on this forum. I hope you can all continue to educate and be responsable breeders so these wonderful creatures will be around and avialable so they wont have to be taken out of the wild.
good job everyone!:)

I agree!

Status
Not open for further replies.