just brought RT home....he hasn't come out once!

Status
Not open for further replies.

teriangeletti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
I had seen him several times at the pet store and he was always out, friendly and eating. I bought him last night, set up his new home with the coconut, a hide log and weeds & water. He dug into the substrate inside his log and has not come out since! I gave him a good soak before he went in, but I am not sure how long he will do this before he gets used to things. Should I pick up the log and soak him every day regardless or just let him settle in naturally. I really was hoping to get him out in the sunshine and let him play in the yard for some real sunshine..... ANY thoughts are extremely appreciated!!!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, get him outside. That is always a better place for them too be. Also, make sure your temps are not too hot or too cold. Then be patient. They are older, 5-6 years usually and WC adults. They usually take longer to adjust. I would take him out though and place in front of food each day and soak every 2-3 days until he comes around. But, yes take him outside for some good old sunshine, making sure there is plenty of shade.

teriangeletti

5 Year Member
Ohio
The pet shop kiddos thought he(?) was 2 but just a newbie looking at other pics of new owners... I would guess WC maybe adult.... 5-8 maybe. I will post pictures tomorrow after work to get good insight from forum. The bulb is (from the petstore) an aquarium long tub bulb , can't remember the brand name...25 watt...kept temps at 80... we are on the way over now....ideas??? It is a 20 gallon tank (for the moment). We just bought a 75 for my husband's baby sulcata so I gotta look for a 75 for this guy.... it is bigger than what they had him in so I am not worried just yet..... I will work on bigger..... I will post measurements with pics tomorrow. Our temps outdoors here are cool this week...60's -70's.....

teriangeletti

5 Year Member
Ohio
OK... the bulb is an eco terra 25Watt.... keeping the area about 80. He (?) is 3 1/2 wide by 41/2 long. He loved walking outdoors in the sunshine.... the sun is very warm- it IS still summer :0) Cedar made the coconut coir dryer...good mix I think.... I will try to attatch pics.... boy or girl? age??? Thx! OBTW...he hisses?!!!! funny!

first pics

Attachments

• CAM00209.jpg
    CAM00209.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 39
  • CAM00213.jpg
    CAM00213.jpg
    736.2 KB · Views: 39
  • CAM00206.jpg
    CAM00206.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 40
Status