Just curious if anyone tried this and what the outcome was

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vickie

5 Year Member
One of my neighbors was out yesterday while I was in the garden and ask me if I had put any thought into a Rabbit or Chicken house with outdoor run attached for the tortoise. I thought that was rather clever however, was wondering if anyone had tried these and if so what their outcome was? Just really got my eye since they had ramps (which I know I would need to fence to make sure tort didn't fall off), gave him/her outdoor sun and another area outside with shade. thanks!

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southwest Washington
They use those a lot in the UK. They can be very successful, especially if you don't have carpentry skills.
You do need to secure the base from escape. One option is to line the bottom (for example, plastic garden fencing stapled to the bottom). Then back fill with 8" or so of soil.
You would have to put up a sight block around the side base, so they don't claw at the wire to get out, like a 1"x12" piece of wood around the base.
You also want good access to the run (w/o having to lift the whole thing off).

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I wouldn't say they are used a lot in the UK. The problem with them is that the run isn't big enough really and claws and scales get stuck in the wire as the occupant needs to get to the wider world it can see.

Vickie

5 Year Member
I realized the bottom obviously would need to keep the tortoise from digging out. Just found it interesting idea especially when talking a small breed of turtle that is outside seasonally only. That is a turtle such as a Greek, Herman, Russian etc.... Also, some of the runs he showed be were pretty good sized and then some was even tall enough you would walk in if you hunched over a bit. Just really caught my eye and was wondering if anyone tried and what they thought of it functionally.

Thank you both for your info!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Smaller breeds of tortoise like Greeks and Russians still needs lots of space. Find me a rabbit run offering 8' x 4' absolute minimum and we might be talking. Anything smaller will not suit them. They roam a long way... they need space. Joe, a Greek, would go stir crazy in something as small as that even!

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
If you google DIY chicken coops and then look at tortoises enclosures they are very similar in structure, and the coop part can be heated for the tortoises. Personally easiest way still is building your own and you can really make it anyway you want it.

If a tortoises lives in a chicken coop, is it still a chicken coop? Idk

Dog runs also work fairly nice with modification a

Vickie

5 Year Member
Thank you all for your info. The couple of the ones I thought about for next summer included
E-Extreme-Cape-Cod-Pen-2013-D.jpg
and http://www.precisionpet.com/images/E-Old-Red-Barn-2013-B.jpg along with http://www.precisionpet.com/images/Extreme-Hen-House-Pen-1.jpg Both with the added fenced in areas are pretty good sized as well as giving outside enclosures they can come and go as they please. Just really got wondering how one would work from those who had one and any possible downfalls they have found with them etc.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Vickie said:

I've seen it done with something similar to this. It was something like 4x12, had a hide built in one corner, and had a wheel kit on one side so that it could be moved easily. I think it works well enough for small -medium sized animals.

The only concern I would have would be to make sure it is on level ground so that there aren't any gaps where it meets the ground. This would probably be more of an issue with small animals/hatchlings, where such a low spot could be overlooked easily.

Vickie

5 Year Member
jaizei said:
Vickie said:

I've seen it done with something similar to this. It was something like 4x12, had a hide built in one corner, and had a wheel kit on one side so that it could be moved easily. I think it works well enough for small -medium sized animals.

The only concern I would have would be to make sure it is on level ground so that there aren't any gaps where it meets the ground. This would probably be more of an issue with small animals/hatchlings, where such a low spot could be overlooked easily.

I totally agree with making sure there are NO gaps! I was thinking if I did go this way for next yr is to dig down a foot place in chicken wire or small square fencing and then put brick all along the sides of the fence (place bricks over top the fencing) and have them stacked until just above the grass turf for the frame to be placed on the brick. Then fill back in with soil and plant in tortoise seed mix.
Anyway, I got thinking about these after talking with a guy at the local store that carries them. He stated normally around the end of Aug they tend to put them on clearance from 50%-75% off so often you can get one with expansion pack for less then $100. Anyway, figured that would have to be less then me buying all the supplies to build one from scratch and a LOT less headache.

Sterling Thunder

5 Year Member
Ashburn, VA
I am, I had the idea as well and went with a cconly.com set up that I have been modifying for my hatchling for outside time. I consider it a temp home till we finish the large build for next year. I will be detailing my build thread in a couple of weeks, right now I am finishing the indoor and the soak area.

Vickie

5 Year Member
Sterling Thunder said:
I am, I had the idea as well and went with a cconly.com set up that I have been modifying for my hatchling for outside time. I consider it a temp home till we finish the large build for next year. I will be detailing my build thread in a couple of weeks, right now I am finishing the indoor and the soak area.

I knew I couldn't be alone on this idea. ;) You will have to let me know what you think after you use it for a while. Thanks!

Sterling Thunder

5 Year Member
Ashburn, VA
Vickie said:
Sterling Thunder said:

I knew I couldn't be alone on this idea. ;) You will have to let me know what you think after you use it for a while. Thanks!

It looks like it will work well. I can build my own, but for small scale, pre-built and modified is the way to go and can actually be less expensive and let you try out large scale design ideas prior to spending large scale monies. The thing on the coup above is to make sure the ramp isn't too steep and soft thick bedding to land in underneath. Also removing the perch bars (make sure they aren't structurally supporting anything). A ratio of 4 to 12 was recommended to me for the ramp when i was researching and seems good. I actually went with a rabbit hutch and run setup to avoid some of the issues. I am building a 12 inch high stone half wall to rest the caging on to ensure limited visibility out, critter protection, beautification and a level secure surface to attach everything to. I will PM you when my build thread is done if you want.

Vickie

5 Year Member
Your absolutely correct! Actually I was going to take out any perches if I got a chicken one over a rabbit one and make sure the bottom had very little cracks if any at all on the bottom. Plus most I think as small as the yearly will be next yr I already figured I would need to adapt the ramp as well as put in sides on the ramp as well so that it couldn't fall off of it.....then if it fell down it it would be padded at the bottom if not all the way up with reptile carpet on top.

Yes, I also would love a PM from you so I can see what your experience was as well as any changes you found after building it you wished you had done or found you needed to do to make it more functional for a tortoise. :)

Vickie

[/quote]It looks like it will work well. I can build my own, but for small scale, pre-built and modified is the way to go and can actually be less expensive and let you try out large scale design ideas prior to spending large scale monies. The thing on the coup above is to make sure the ramp isn't too steep and soft thick bedding to land in underneath. Also removing the perch bars (make sure they aren't structurally supporting anything). A ratio of 4 to 12 was recommended to me for the ramp when i was researching and seems good. I actually went with a rabbit hutch and run setup to avoid some of the issues. I am building a 12 inch high stone half wall to rest the caging on to ensure limited visibility out, critter protection, beautification and a level secure surface to attach everything to. I will PM you when my build thread is done if you want.
[/quote]

Sterling Thunder

5 Year Member
Ashburn, VA
Vickie said:
Your absolutely correct! Actually I was going to take out any perches if I got a chicken one over a rabbit one and make sure the bottom had very little cracks if any at all on the bottom. Plus most I think as small as the yearly will be next yr I already figured I would need to adapt the ramp as well as put in sides on the ramp as well so that it couldn't fall off of it.....then if it fell down it it would be padded at the bottom if not all the way up with reptile carpet on top.

Yes, I also would love a PM from you so I can see what your experience was as well as any changes you found after building it you wished you had done or found you needed to do to make it more functional for a tortoise. :)

Vickie
It looks like it will work well. I can build my own, but for small scale, pre-built and modified is the way to go and can actually be less expensive and let you try out large scale design ideas prior to spending large scale monies. The thing on the coup above is to make sure the ramp isn't too steep and soft thick bedding to land in underneath. Also removing the perch bars (make sure they aren't structurally supporting anything). A ratio of 4 to 12 was recommended to me for the ramp when i was researching and seems good. I actually went with a rabbit hutch and run setup to avoid some of the issues. I am building a 12 inch high stone half wall to rest the caging on to ensure limited visibility out, critter protection, beautification and a level secure surface to attach everything to. I will PM you when my build thread is done if you want.
[/quote]
[/quote]

I am of two minds about putting sides on the ramp, leaning toward no and eliminating a ramp almost entirely. If you look in the enclosure area a few down from this thread you will see my indoor enclosure titled Modified Zoo Med...

Status
Not open for further replies.