Just doing my best here people

sharil Longe

Location (City and/or State)
Jeffersonville
I really wanted to be a tortoise mom. I'm a landscape gardener, and just love nature in general including all living things. I did what I knew I shouldn't have done amd went to a privately owned pet store to purchase a tortoise in January and he never seemed quite right. I figured he was just shy and getting acclimated so kept I kept a positive outlook and kept researching, trying different substrates and lighting, and food. Well, disaster struck last week. Pineapple stopped eating. I brought him to my vet after a few days and she tube fed him and started a worm treatment. He sadly passed away the next day.
I'm truly heart broken. I don't know what I did wrong, and really want to get another little guy, but I'm scared now and can't take another loss.
Does this happen more than I was lead to believe?
Was he sick to begin with if he passed so quickly?
When I'm ready, where should I get my next hard shelled friend?
Thanks in advance!

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Sorry to hear about your loss. Don't let it discourage you. Pet shops tend to sell sick, mostly wild caught tortoises. If you decide to get another tort definitely go with a breeder and not a pet shop.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Ok, so phase 2 of my sad story. Tortoise town seems like a no no. They are no breeders in VT. Who can I trust?
I really appreciate finding this forum.
Shari
Definitely don't go with Tortoise town. What species are you thinking about? There are some very good breeders right here on the site that I'm sure can help you.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Ok, so phase 2 of my sad story. Tortoise town seems like a no no. They are no breeders in VT. Who can I trust?
I really appreciate finding this forum.
Shari

Hi Shari,

I'm in NH. I got two of my tortoises from a breeder who mailed them to me (I used Redfoot Ranch, and had a great experience both times); the other two (yes, I know, four torts?) I got as rescues off of craigslist.

I would recommend going with either one of the breeders/keepers on this site, or one of those they recommend.

I'd be happy to give a hand if needed (or helpful).

Jamie

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Pineapple was a Russian. I liked the idea of having a smaller sized adult, but the Hermanns have beauitul coloring. I'd be happy with either :)
@Carol S has some beautiful Russians. Also check out Tortstork and Garden State tortoise.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Pineapple was a Russian. I liked the idea of having a smaller sized adult, but the Hermanns have beauitul coloring. I'd be happy with either :)
In fact I just saw this from Carol s

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
In fact I just saw this from Carol s

Yes, that Russian from Carol looks great!

turtlebean

Connecticut
I’m so sorry to hear about your loss! I’m excited for you that you did not give up and are getting a new little one next month! Definitely post pics when he or she arrives, always nice to see a new (tort) face around here!☺

-Julia R

JMM

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
There are often torts on Craigslist in need of good homes. Just keep checking.

Relic

Here
You might do a hearty clean-up of the enclosure your passed tortoise inhabited, in case there were any viral or bacterial issues involved. I'd use new substrate as well.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
We hear this story so often (vet tube fed the tortoise), that I've got to wonder if there's something wrong with the tube feeding. You didn't do anything wrong. It's not easy getting a wild caught tortoise from a pet store and keeping it alive. Especially for a new tortoise keeper. Now that you're here with us, your next tortoise experience will be better.

Relic

Here
We hear this story so often (vet tube fed the tortoise), that I've got to wonder if there's something wrong with the tube feeding. You didn't do anything wrong. It's not easy getting a wild caught tortoise from a pet store and keeping it alive. Especially for a new tortoise keeper. Now that you're here with us, your next tortoise experience will be better.
I think you have hit the proverbial nail on the head. Back "in the day" (I use that to refer to the 60's & 70's & 80's) nearly every reptile for sale was a recent import. They were invariably loaded with internal, and occasionally, external parasites. They had often been without food and water for an extended period of time while in transit and wholesale holding pens/cages. Combine all that with the lack of accurate husbandry information, antiquated equipment (the 10-gallon aquarium was the standard starter cage for everything, whether snake, lizard, tortoise, etc.), and the extremely elevated stress level in the animals due directly to all those factors, and the resulting mortality rate was just ridiculous. I have no facts at hand, but I would suspect less than 25% of reptiles sold through pet stores survived to adulthood, or if already adults, survived more than 2 years.

Now with so many conscientious breeders and the explosion of husbandry knowledge that has occurred over the past few decades, successfully keeping reptiles is much, much easier. Pet stores, unfortunately, remain the weak link in the chain, and thus to be avoided if possible, or if you must, go into the store fully realizing the uphill battle you are likely to face. I understand the tender hearts that yearn to rescue those critters suffering in the pet stores, but without a lot of knowledge, patience, and deep pockets, it will be a challenge.

There's a reason we call this the Golden Age of Reptiles...