Just fed my Sulcata avocado!! Any suggestions??

Status
Not open for further replies.

adrockj

5 Year Member
Hello! I purchased a beautiful Sulcata on Craigslist about 1o months ago. It is about 18 inches long! We named He/She OJO and it is super nice and friendly. I have a pen set up in the backyard about 10ft x 8ft with a doghouse and heater light in it. I let Ojo walk around the backyard and eat grass and at about 2pm every day he will walk to his pen and go to sleep. really cute! I have a garden and also feed him Brussels sprout leaves, grape leaves, romaine lettuce and a variety of vegies that go bad in our fridge. Along with that I give him about a cup of mazuri and sprinkle calcium powder on it once a week. he is very active and fast and almost no pyramiding at all. JUST LAST NIGHT I GAVE HIM AN AVOCADO AND HE ATE THE WHOLE THING! I HAD A FEELING I SHOULD HAVE CHECKED FIRST AND JUST FOUND OUT THAT IT IS TOXIC FOR HIM. WILL HE BE OK? ANYTHING I SHOULD DO?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Eating an avocado isn't going to harm your tortoise. Just don't make a habit of it.

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
Yes avocado isn't got for tortoises which live in dry habitats. You can feet it to tropical kinds!

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
We'll look at the bright side if you had taken your tort to the vet it would have cost at least 50 dollars to get the same answer . But thanks to the TFO it didn't cost anything ! Thanks TFO :)

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

M

Maggie Cummings

He shouldn't have any fruit at all. He's a herbivore...grasses weeds hay, etc. About once a summer Bob gets some watermelon but that's about it. Sounds like you have a really nice tortoise...

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
From time to time the avocado should be fine....while fruit is not a great thing, it certainly will offer some emotional well being to get a treat from time to time....;) and the vitamins in the avocado is outstanding...

ruthiepo

Chippenham
That's a relief as I just gave our baby spur thighed tortoise a segment of avocado!
He loved it so much he had it smeared all over his face.
I hope it hasn't done him any harm

Status
Not open for further replies.