1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Just finished George's new home!

Discussion in 'Tortoise Enclosures' started by jencabral, Feb 22, 2018.

1. jencabral

jencabral New Member

Location (City and/or State):
    Benton, KS
    I am a relatively new mom to our first Russian tortoise, George. He was given to us in October, and we don't have much background info on him. I've been following this forum to gain as much knowledge as I can! I recently acquired an old jewelry display case and decided to turn it into George's new 2-story home. Hopefully this will help regulate temperature and humidity. Screenshot_20180222-171847.jpg Screenshot_20180222-171847.jpg 20180217_181012.jpg 20180222_170039.jpg 20180222_170610.jpg
  2. wellington

wellington Well-Known Member Moderator 5 Year Member

Chicago, Illinois, USA
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    Looks nice. I would try to put the ramp so it goes right up to the open space on the second level. He may try to jump off the open area of the second level or even the box with the dirt on it. They are great climbers so more if an incline should be too hard for him. I caught mine a few years back climbing straight up a tree.
    TammyJ and jencabral like this.
  3. jencabral

jencabral New Member

Benton, KS
    Thank you. That's good to know. The ladder seemed pretty steep, so I was trying to build a platform but not satisfied with the result. I will try your suggestion. Do you think the wire ramp is ok, or could his claws get caught?
  4. jencabral

jencabral New Member

Benton, KS
    Here is what George looks like. Does he look healthy? He has good humidity and a good appetite, but he refuses to eat any supplements or calcium. I am worried because he has been in his new home for a week, but he doesn't want to explore and just sits on his basking rock most of the day. He has a hide box but doesn't go in there either.

Attached Files:

5. TammyJ

TammyJ Well-Known Member

Jamaica
    What form of calcium are you trying to give him?
  6. jencabral

jencabral New Member

Benton, KS
    I have tried the calcium cakes (I don't know what they are called) and also the pellet supplements that contain calcium. Recently I started rinsing my farm fresh egg shells and powderizing them to sprinkle on his food a couple times a week, but he can tell and won't eat the food with the powder.