Just got a new baby! [PICS]

Status
Not open for further replies.

PEEEETE

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Vacaville, CA
So I was searching for sulcatas on Craigslist in my town, mainly to compares sizes for Pepe's age, since I don't know any other owners, and perhaps to get some supplies... and I found this little girl for sale the same age as my little Pepé. I went and looked at her, and she did NOT look good at all. She was sluggish, pale, soft shelled on both sides, and had sunken scutes. She could barely hold herself up on her feet, so she stayed on her plastron 100% of the time, and didn't react defensively when handled or with sudden movements. The biggest sign that she wasn't healthy though, was the fact that she is the same age as my other Sulcata, and was 3 times smaller... it was sad.

I decided to go ahead and buy her from the guy, and have to stay with pepé in his enclosure until they get too big or too aggressive to be housed together, then make a decision to keep her and build another habitat, or sell her to a good home once she is healthy and bigger.

Here are some pictures from the night I introduced her to Pepé and her new home.

sQo5D.jpg

5z2G4.jpg

YEUsm.jpg

ox3tI.jpg

When I first got her home, I gave her a warm soak because she was very cold, and the head on her skin looked dried out... She dunked her head under the water immediately and drank her fill, and did it again later that night. It scared me because Pepé never does that, not for that long (she was under for like 20 seconds) Then I gave her fresh greens and she ate for 3 hours straight and ate the next morning for 3 hours straight.

Here they are getting along and eating together.

OjTH8.jpg

70eaY.jpg

G1owa.jpg

MIRlf.jpg

OjTH8.jpg

Pepé was very scared of her at first, and was actually biting at her shell, like it was a Mazuri pellet. He was very confused. I watched them for hours to make sure they were getting along, and had to discipline him, by tapping his shell when he nipped at her. After I gave him some Mazuri, they were both happy, and now they are friends.

When I got her she was 42 grams, and now 2 weeks later she is 51 grams, and is energetic, the skin on her head looks a bit better, and she seems very happy. I'll take follow up pictures next week.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
What was their reason for re-homing the little guy?

Nice save!

nikki0601

5 Year Member
Bonifay, FL
Wow, poor baby, glad to see he is getting the care he needs now, if u wouldnt have gotten him sure dont see him lasting long, keep us updated, cant wait to see his shell harden as he gets better

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
How do you know its a "she"? She looks kinda like a Tortoise Zombie! Maybe some UVs ... She needs a tan BAD!

nikki0601

5 Year Member
Bonifay, FL
U know some extra vitamin may not be a bad idea, once I founf that my baby was kept poorly before coming to me I did a few bird vitamin soaks just to be sure he and give him a little boost, it cant hurt, I did see a increase in perkiness after I began doing it

Linzbragg

5 Year Member
Wow, tort zombie is right! You did such a great thing! My Franklin was kept on dry hay with no water before I got her. Now I'm trying to correct some pyramiding. I found him on Craigslist too, luckily bc online breeders don't mail to my state (VA). Did the guy say anything about her looking so bad? She looks happy now!

PEEEETE

5 Year Member
Vacaville, CA
I am not sure that she is a she, or that Pepé is a boy for that matter. It's just what it looks like to me from the pictures I've seen... Or maybe just what I want them to be hahaha.

The previous owner is a bearded dragon owner/breeder and had never owned a tortoise before. Got her at the Sacramento reptile show a month prior, and just wasn't able to take care of her, our didn't want to fully. From what he said of his care/food schedule and enclosure... All seemed well, but I never saw it myself. All I know for sure is that she was very thirsty and hungry the first day I got her here.

I just can't believe that them two are the same age... Pepé is a giant compared to her.

Any tips on the bird vitamin bath? How to use it?(ratio of water) Is it ok to do it with my healthy tort too?

It's pretty cold here around this time of year, so she hasn't gotten much outdoor time, but the UV bulb is on all day for them.

Thanks for the interest, guys. Any more tips would be greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.