Just got a Russian Dwarf, first pet

Status
Not open for further replies.

deejay2412

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
well apart from dogs lol

Weve just got this from my girlfriends gran (too old to take care of it) and im jus looking for a bit info on keeping it. temp food enclosure bathing health hibernation etc, as im a complete beginner when it comes to these!

Im building an enclosure with some straw and stand and lamp. whats the best temp to keep these at?

Were currently feeding it on cabbage leaves and dandelions, and iceberg lettuce for the water in it as it doesnt seem to drink at all.

Ive found alot of info on the net but most if it conflicts each other.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Oly.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
Hi,
Welcome to the forum. :D If you search through the Russian forum you will find answers to a lot of your questions. You can also check out this site http://www.russiantortoise.org/
If you have any questions after that please feel free to ask away. :D
We should be able to help.

Danny

deejay2412

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
egyptiandan said:
Hi,
Welcome to the forum. :D If you search through the Russian forum you will find answers to a lot of your questions. You can also check out this site http://www.russiantortoise.org/
If you have any questions after that please feel free to ask away. :D
We should be able to help.

Danny

Thanks mate.

Yeah, i had a look on that site alot of useful stuff on there, same with this one.

Just got a bit confused there seems to be alot of conflicting information on these. Shes currently got the run of the small bedroom, with an upturned box full of newspaper shavings, our worry at the minute was will she be hot enough? theres a radiator in there and she seems to sit underneath that all the time. Im off work at the weekend which is when ill be building the enclosure. For the time being my girlfriend was thinking of putting a hot water bottle in there, covered in some old clothing, wise thing to do?

Also is it ok just to let her run about the living room? Obviously theres nothing in there that could harm her, wires etc tied up.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Your going to need a basking light for your table, so you can get it now and set it up for her in the room. That will let her bask and heat up. Make sure you get a combination heat and UVB bulb for the basking light.
I personally wouldn't let the tortoise run around the house. It's not going to be warm enough for her and can be very drafty on the floor. Her table and plenty of outside time will be plenty of excercise.

Danny

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
As Danny has said I wouldn't let your tort have run of the house. Even a human or pet hair can be injested and potentually cause probelms. Plus it can get really cold and drafty without you realizing it. Here is the link for the care sheet for the Russian http://www.russiantortoise.org/care_sheet.htm It posts about temps, lamps for light, Heat, humidity and substrate, This is a really good caresheet. On our forum there are lots of posts on Tort tables you can use the search function to find this info.

I know there is a lot of conflicting info out there but this is a really good care sheet to follow and will get you off to a good start with your Russian.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Oly and welcome to the forum!! What a nice thing you did to ease your gran's mind in taking her tortoise to care for.

First thing that struck me about your post was the iceburg lettuce. This is like candy to them, and they get you trained very quickly to think that you HAVE to give it to them or they will starve (because they'll hold out for it). If you keep a water dish in the habitat, the tortoise will replenish his water supply when he feels he needs to. Quite a few Russians don't seem to like to have anything to do with water...and in the real world, water is not that easy to come by. So just provide it and feed a more healthy diet. Not too much cabbage (gout), and lots of dark, leafy greens (endive, escarole, mustard, turnip greens, dandylion greens, etc.

If its at all possible, build him an outdoor enclosure for the warm months. They do much better outside, mentally and physically.

Yvonne

Status
Not open for further replies.