Just got my baby Dalmatian Hermann XD (photos)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KassyO

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mobile AL
IMG_1700.JPGI just got my baby Hermann from GBtortoises who was unbelievably helpful and knowledgeable and always wrote me back very quickly if I had questions =D

I wanted to throw up some photos and maybe get some advise on the enclosure. I had to have him delivered to my office (good thing I work in a building by myself) so I made a little enclosure that was portable. I got a small container from Walmart and cut a piece of AstroTurf to fit in the bottom, and then scattered Sphagnum moss sporadically in different areas (photos below) my fiancé made a great hide out of aluminum and covered it in vegetation but it was far too big for the small enclosure so I made a makeshift hide out of the box one of my lights came in. I used a small terracotta flower pot base for the water so he could easily get in and out of it without tipping or getting stuck. I also got a great thermometer in the pool supplies section of Home Depot that gives several different readings including the humidity. When I got him I put some romaine on a small glass tile set on top of the moss so he couldn't accidentally eat any and I set a cuttlebone off to the side for him to chomp at for now if he feels the need. I have the lights set up on two wooden stands the heat bulb is putting out a consistent 90 degrees on the side close to the food and I have an exo terra repti glo 5.0 for his overall light. Check out the photos and please feel free to give me any tips or corrections on the enclosure. I'm SOOOOO happy and Excited :D I am already totally in love with the little guy :} First thing he did was go for the water dish... and pooped lol then ran over and started to eat. I haven't even had him for a full hour yet so I guess he is healthy.

Attachments

• IMG_1699.JPG
    IMG_1699.JPG
    768.8 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_1681.JPG
    IMG_1681.JPG
    912.7 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_1697.JPG
    IMG_1697.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 107
  • IMG_1682.JPG
    IMG_1682.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 87
  • IMG_1683.JPG
    IMG_1683.JPG
    942 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_1696.JPG
    IMG_1696.JPG
    808.4 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_1690.JPG
    IMG_1690.JPG
    504.7 KB · Views: 113
Last edited by a moderator:

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
He is very very cute!

Couple of tips:

I would get rid of the astro turf and go with something natural - Soil or cypress mulch. I imagine that, like astroturf soccer fields, it will be a breeding ground for bacteria. The moss will be great in his hide, to keep it nice and humid for smooth growth :) I would also get away from the romaine - Start him off with nice dark, leafy greens so he doesn't develop a taste for the far less healthy romaine (just like a human kid, they like what isn't as healthy the best!). Lastly, can he get in and out of that water dish on his own? It looks nice and shallow, but the sides looks a little steep/slippery for such a teeny little guy :)

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
KassyO said:
I just got my baby Hermann from GBtortoises who was unbelievably helpful and knowledgeable and always wrote me back very quickly if I had questions =D

I wanted to throw up some photos and maybe get some advise on the enclosure. I had to have him delivered to my office (good thing I work in a building by myself) so I made a little enclosure that was portable. I got a small container from Walmart and cut a piece of AstroTurf to fit in the bottom, and then scattered Sphagnum moss sporadically in different areas (photos below) my fiancé made a great hide out of aluminum and covered it in vegetation but it was far too big for the small enclosure so I made a makeshift hide out of the box one of my lights came in. I used a small terracotta flower pot base for the water so he could easily get in and out of it without tipping or getting stuck. I also got a great thermometer in the pool supplies section of Home Depot that gives several different readings including the humidity. When I got him I put some romaine on a small glass tile set on top of the moss so he couldn't accidentally eat any and I set a cuttlebone off to the side for him to chomp at for now if he feels the need. I have the lights set up on two wooden stands the heat bulb is putting out a consistent 90 degrees on the side close to the food and I have an exo terra repti glo 5.0 for his overall light. Check out the photos and please feel free to give me any tips or corrections on the enclosure. I'm SOOOOO happy and Excited :D I am already totally in love with the little guy :} First thing he did was go for the water dish... and pooped lol then ran over and started to eat. I haven't even had him for a full hour yet so I guess he is healthy.

Kassy-A better substrate choice would be a mixture of organic top or potting soil mixed with coconut coir. If it's kept about 2" deep it will hold moisture well and give the tortoise something to hide in which is very important to it's feeling of security. Baby tortoises don't typically use hide boxes unless they have no other alternative. A hide box can always be present in case it would prefer to use it.
The cuttlebone is too big for a baby tortoise. They cannot bite pieces off at this size/age. I like to keep a small shallow dish of calcium carbonate in the enclosure at all times for them to consume as needed. This can either be an already powedered form or by shaving it off the cuttlebone to create powder.

KassyO

5 Year Member
Mobile AL
Yeah this enclosure was kind of a transport small makeshift enclosure because I had to have him delivered to my work and bring him back to my house when I got off. In his larger enclosure I have soil and coconut coir mixed. What greens are suggested for a baby? I've read a lot but I have not come across a list of dos and don'ts for things to feed him. I know spinach isn't good and I have basically come up with a lot of things I should avoid but it would be great to know what the best foods possible for good growth are. He has chewed on the cuttle bone a bit but I did assume that it may not be ideal for a tiny guy so ill get some powder. Is it better to put it on his food or just have some available for him?

KassyO

5 Year Member
Mobile AL
Pokeymeg said:
He is very very cute!

Couple of tips:

I would get rid of the astro turf and go with something natural - Soil or cypress mulch. I imagine that, like astroturf soccer fields, it will be a breeding ground for bacteria. The moss will be great in his hide, to keep it nice and humid for smooth growth :) I would also get away from the romaine - Start him off with nice dark, leafy greens so he doesn't develop a taste for the far less healthy romaine (just like a human kid, they like what isn't as healthy the best!). Lastly, can he get in and out of that water dish on his own? It looks nice and shallow, but the sides looks a little steep/slippery for such a teeny little guy :)

Thanks so much fir the advise! I tossed the turf; I didn't even think about the potential for bacteria. The water dish is great for him I buried it in the moss so he could just walk into it. It was the first thing he did actually, it's one of those terracotta flower pot bottoms so his little feet can get traction on it. He hasn't seemed to have any problems so far he's been super active and he's not shy or afraid at all. He doesn't shy away from me or really hide at all is that normal?

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
That is great to hear that he is not shy at all! Typically, tortoises can take a couple weeks to settle in to their new home. Most new owners worry when their new tortoises hide all the time and don't eat for the first week or so...It's totally normal either way, you seem to have gotten lucky :) Sounds like you will take great care of him/her- Keep us updated!

Status
Not open for further replies.