Just got my new baby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tortoise Princess

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Manila, Philippines
I finally have a sulcata! No name yet so suggestions are very much welcome:)

Looks relatively smooth, though there are slightly elevated ridges. Will there be a chance he will get smoother as he grows?

She's staying in a 20 gallon tank for now, with temp range at 80-86F and 80-90% humidity, with sunbathing daily at 15 to 20min. and daily misting/soaking 2 times a day

Hope she/he'll grow up to be healthy and beautiful under my care

Attachments

• yearling-pc 2.JPG
    yearling-pc 2.JPG
    17 KB · Views: 66
  • yearling-pic 3.JPG
    yearling-pic 3.JPG
    227.6 KB · Views: 52

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Tortoise Princess said:
I finally have a sulcata! No name yet so suggestions are very much welcome:)

Looks relatively smooth, though there are slightly elevated ridges. Will there be a chance he will get smoother as he grows?

She's staying in a 20 gallon tank for now, with temp range at 80-86F and 80-90% humidity, with sunbathing daily at 15 to 20min. and daily misting/soaking 2 times a day

Hope she/he'll grow up to be healthy and beautiful under my care

He looks great and sounds like you are going to do a great job, Im sure Tom will be chiming in soon. Follow his caresheets and your tort will be perfect:D

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Congrats:D. Your temps sound good, except what is your basking temp? That should be 95+ . Your humidity sounds great too. As he gets bigger, you will not be able to see the slight pyramiding, it should all just kinda blend in. At least that's what I have Learned on this forum. Mine is still too young yet to know how well his pyramiding will blend in.

Tortoise Princess

5 Year Member
Manila, Philippines
wellington said:
Congrats:D. Your temps sound good, except what is your basking temp? That should be 95+ . Your humidity sounds great too. As he gets bigger, you will not be able to see the slight pyramiding, it should all just kinda blend in. At least that's what I have Learned on this forum. Mine is still too young yet to know how well his pyramiding will blend in.

I see... is basking temp not the same as puting her out in the sun? if not, does it mean i need to put on a basking light in his enclosure 24/7?

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
Congrats...very cute:) I agree with Wellington about the temps and pyramiding. Your sully looks great and no worries
Although pyramiding cannot be reversed, often times as you change their diet and provide better care/husbandry you won't notice the pyramiding as they get larger to the degree when noticed when they were small...at this point you have nothing to worry about.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello Tortoise Princess. Your baby looks just fine. A few suggestions for you. 20 gallons is too small. They need more room to move. Do they sell plastic storage bins there? How about horse watering troughs? If not, how about just a bigger tank?

Your ambient temps sound great, but you do need a basking spot that reaches somewhere around 100 for about 12 hours a day. I like to use a 65 watt flood bulb on a timer for this and I adjust the height of the bulb to get the temp just right.

Soaking once a day should be enough, but I don't think it will hurt anything to do it twice. The shell spraying I would do at least 3-4 times a day. If you can do it 10 times a day, that's great too.

Tortoise Princess

5 Year Member
Manila, Philippines
Tom said:
Hello Tortoise Princess. Your baby looks just fine. A few suggestions for you. 20 gallons is too small. They need more room to move. Do they sell plastic storage bins there? How about horse watering troughs? If not, how about just a bigger tank?

Your ambient temps sound great, but you do need a basking spot that reaches somewhere around 100 for about 12 hours a day. I like to use a 65 watt flood bulb on a timer for this and I adjust the height of the bulb to get the temp just right.

Soaking once a day should be enough, but I don't think it will hurt anything to do it twice. The shell spraying I would do at least 3-4 times a day. If you can do it 10 times a day, that's great too.

Thanks tom. I'll be transferring her to a 75gallon tank over the weekend, plus the basking lamp :)

End state though is to move her to an enclosure outdoors....Maybe when she reaches 6 inches or bigger she'll be ready to roam/live outside the garden enclosure....

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
It looks good. If you provide good husbandry, by the time the tortoise is 50+lbs, you won't even notice the bumps that are there now.

Status
Not open for further replies.