Just got my Rescue Girl home!!

sunshine_hugs

5 Year Member
I was finally able to pick up my rescue girl. Our fence isn't complete yet, but the owner said she was going to throw her out if I didn't come for her.

I currently have her in a temp set up, but it should work for a few days while we're completing the fence (I will post pics of it tomorrow, as I tried to take some, but it's so bright, the pics are washed out). The temp space is still a good size for her....it's 23' x 11', but with stairs taking out a chunk of that space in the middle.

Oh, and she's exactly 9"...my guess was 11"....shows what I know! :p

She (my kids have named her Belle...I was going for Poppy, but they won) seems quite freaked out right now. She hasn't stopped moving since we got her home. She was kept in a small wooden dog house for 10 years, so this is all new to her. I hope she settles soon.

I soaked her, and she hated the water. I actually need to move the placement of her water, as it gets too hot in the afternoon sun.

We have a few potted hibiscus plants in her temp. enclosure, and she's been hanging around those pots...we picked some leaves for her, but so far she won't eat anything (the only things she was ever fed were mango and watercress).

I'm just so happy to have her home with me. I love my big girl!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Are you kidding me, throw her out. Good thing it wasn't me picking her up, they would have gotten more then thrown out the stupid, no good SOB's
Glad you found her and was able to get her. People like that don't deserve to breath as far as I am concerned.
She looks great.

Mightymcknighty

5 Year Member
Maybe the owner needs to be locked up for 10years see what they feel about that! Great looking girl hope she does well with you !

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
This us great new's! I know it was so hard for you to leave her, the other day.
Im'm so happy she is home with you!
She is beautiful?

sunshine_hugs

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone! And yes, it was so difficult to leave her there the other day...but she's home with me now, and I couldn't be happier with her.

You can't imagine what it was like picking her up today. He let me up on his land to see his other animals (he was actually proud of the way he kept them), and it broke my heart. Rabbits in small cages, covered in faeces...baby bunnies were dying (it was awful...2 were dead, and one was almost dead)...skinny sheep...an absolutely beautiful, and healthy looking pitbull, who I watched him beat (he explained it as his "training method" and told me that's why she's such a good dog). The pit will be available to a home after he breeds her...he just wants a pup (and I've always wanted an adult pit :)).

Sorry for the rant....it was just so difficult to see. And even worse to see how he thought this was a normal (and actually good) way to treat animals.

I know things are different here than in North America, but it's no excuse for animal abuse / neglect.

Okay, back to Belle. I will post pics of her temp set up tomorrow...and hopefully we'll have her permanent area ready in a few days. I'm actually thankful she's in the smaller area at the moment, because I can keep an eye on her a little easier. I've been checking her constantly.

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
She's beautiful! Congrats!

May[TURTLE]
1.1.0 Hermannis: Darwin & Wallace
Aussies: Dax, Vegas, & Cricket

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
She looks good. Her shell is nice and smooth. Nice save. You will enjoy her. They have such great personalities...congratulations on your new addition.... :)

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
Maybe you can adopt the pit at some point!
Enjoy your girl!

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
She is just so adorable!! :) :)
I am so happy you saved her from her IDIOT past owners!! How could someone throw her out? Look at her sweet, precious face?...evil people!
Enjoy your new girl!! :) :)

sunshine_hugs

5 Year Member
Thank you to everyone! I'm enjoying her so much...it's raining this morning, and she's finally out to wander around. I caught her eating some pumpkin and weeds. Yay!

She's simply amazing!

kathyth said:
Maybe you can adopt the pit at some point!
Enjoy your girl!

I'm hoping so, but I'll have to work hard to convince hubby. :p

sunshine_hugs

5 Year Member
Just wanted to put a picture of Belle with a messy face after breakfast!:

And one of her trying to find a hiding spot:

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
She looks very happy. :) Good on you for rescuing her. Thanks for sharing her pictures. [TURTLE]

May[TURTLE]

sunshine_hugs

5 Year Member
goReptiles said:
Are you able to turn him in for neglect?!

I'm going to check into the laws here. I'm actually involved in the dog rescue here, so I have a lot of contacts.

Jabuticaba said:
She looks very happy. :) Good on you for rescuing her. Thanks for sharing her pictures. [TURTLE]

May[TURTLE]

And thank you for looking at her pictures. I can't get enough pics of her at the moment. I'm celebrating everything she does!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
She is certainly a beautiful tortoise! Glad for both of you that you ended up together.

sunshine_hugs

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
She is certainly a beautiful tortoise! Glad for both of you that you ended up together.

Thank you! And I'm so happy we ended up together too!

One more picture....here she is enjoying her new, 3500sq/ft tortoise yard!