Just got started with discus fish, and altum angel fish

FloraFauna.com

5 Year Member
Hi Tortoise Lovers,

I'm a longtime member wanting to share with you the fruits of my recent discus and angel fish project. I had a neighbor who recently moved out of state and gifted me his 100g aquarium. My imagination began running wild, and pretty soon, I found myself daydreaming at work trying to figure out the perfect combination of fish to fill it with.

Should I get oscars? Jack Dempsey cichlids? Frontosas? The possibilities were endless.

Pretty soon, I was fantasizing about altum angel fish and discus because the combination of these to majestic beauties together in the same aquarium was a sight that was too difficult for me to resist.

Next, I found myself researching every discus book, article, and website I could get my hands on. After cycling my aquarium for 4-5 weeks, I decided to take the plunge and add some fish. I stumbled onto discus.com and was impressed by their customer service and return policy. After speaking with them on the phone, I was hooked. I placed an order of 6 wild discus, 24 altums, and 8 hybrid (cultivated) discus.

I have had the fish in my care for 2 weeks. I have attached photos of my setup. Enjoy!

P.S. I purchased my freshwater stingray separately. :)

55719339_802757883456643_6199307029987721216_o.jpg

57348229_813774019021696_7624315292616753152_o.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
It's very beautiful! I've always liked the looks of discus, however, don't have any aquariums.

jonathan gray

5 Year Member
Beautiful! You might find the fish to be more at ease (and hence, more colorful), with some plants for them to hide in. Discus and altums both seem to enjoy 'vertical' plants like vallisneria and sagittaria. Also neither is a fan of bright lighting.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow they are beautiful. I have worked in a fish store for a very long time now and never have we had such beautiful Discus. Good luck with them. Find a fish group for advice not a fish store. Most will sell too many at once.