just inherited a Greek Tortoise (Testudo Graeca) how do i hibernate her ?

Runt10000

Location (City and/or State)
Farnborough
Hi , i have Just inherited our family Tortoise as my elderly parents were struggling to look after her she has been with us for over a month what is the best way to hibernate her as she has been hibernating herself for 20 years in the Garden she is of good health aged 23 years old and stopped eating a couple off weeks ago she has done several poos a couple of weeks ago but has only come out of her house a couple of times over the last week and is spending more time in her house i am worried about her hibernating herself as the garden is quit new to her any advise appreciated ?

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
Congrats on your inheritance!

I have not brumated a Greek tortoise specifically. I would ask your parents if they could give you any advice on what they did in the past.

Beyond that, the Greek tortoise care guide has an excerpt on brumation:

This is another article that Chris Leone wrote on brumation:

Runt10000

Farnborough
Congrats on your inheritance!

I have not brumated a Greek tortoise specifically. I would ask your parents if they could give you any advice on what they did in the past.

Beyond that, the Greek tortoise care guide has an excerpt on brumation:

This is another article that Chris Leone wrote on brumation:

great article thanks i did pick out a couple of things that made me rest easy and yesterday she hibernated herself in the flower beds one minute she was sun bathing 2 hours later totaly buried dont suppose we will see her till march some time , but thanks for the article

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
great article thanks i did pick out a couple of things that made me rest easy and yesterday she hibernated herself in the flower beds one minute she was sun bathing 2 hours later totaly buried dont suppose we will see her till march some time , but thanks for the article

Im sorry but if you live in Farnborough, your greek tort should not be hibernating outside during the winter. It is far too cold. I am aware that they can survive but I also know people whose have not.

Runt10000

Farnborough
Im sorry but if you live in Farnborough, your greek tort should not be hibernating outside during the winter. It is far too cold. I am aware that they can survive but I also know people whose have not.
she has always hibernated on her own in the UK for 20 years what has changed this year

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What we normally recommend is to not brumate them the first year of owning. This way you have a year to be sure everything is okay and that she is healthy enough to survive it
However, seeing this one has been in your family for years, this doesn't really fit. But because it is a new garden, maybe it would be best to either not brumate her this first year or possibly let her brumate at her old home and bring her back when she wakes?

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
she has always hibernated on her own in the UK for 20 years what has changed this year

It hasnt been an appropriate climate for the last 20 years either. As I said, I know they can survive, in fact average temperatures in winter are probably within reason, but it can drop close to and below zero for several days in a row and sometimes longer, which is generally a no no. The risk might be small but it seems silly, you could easily wait for it to brumate, find it and put it in a dry insulated box in a shed or garage. That would protect it from the potential worst conditions. Its not the kind of thing I have tested, but I do know a family whose greek tort survived just fine outside in the UK for about 12 years, and then it didnt come out of hibernation one particularly bad winter. I couldnt leave mine out, as cold as it gets.