just looking to. find out the sex of my Hermann

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaywilson91

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Dublin Ireland
IMG_20120812_202538.jpgIMG_20121001_134202.jpgIMG_20121001_134202.jpgHi.everyone im only new to this I love my.tortoise I called him Kaiser but I think he might be a she :) im not too sure id love if you guys could help im interested in learning a lot more about tortoises... Thanks for your time

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Jay!

We'll have to be able to see more of the tail to give you a good answer.

jaywilson91

5 Year Member
Dublin Ireland
IMG_20121001_172337.jpgIMG_20121001_172337.jpgIMG_20121001_172302.jpg
emysemys said:
Welcome to the Forum, Jay!

We'll have to be able to see more of the tail to give you a good answer.

Is this picture any better ?

Last edited by a moderator:

jaywilson91

5 Year Member
Dublin Ireland
Reallylooks like I'll have to rename the lil lady now to.think of a good :) thanks very.Much.for your help gonna get her a lil boyfriend soon

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
RE: just looking to. find out the sex of my Hermann

Looks to be a female...

BTW, a single female won't survive long w/ a male...he will literally "romance" her to death...you need a minimum of 2, and 3 females per male is better, so that while one is "entertaining his reproductive glee", the other(s) can eat and rest. Or keep the male in a seperate enclosure, only putting them together for breeding, occ.

You really can't have too many females, otoh, as long as you have enough space in the enclosure...my 4 currently share an enclosure of 5' X 8' (barely adequate), and I'm building one for them of 8' X 16", as time/materials permits.

jaywilson91

5 Year Member
Dublin Ireland

Terry Allan Hall said:
Looks to be a female...

BTW, a single female won't survive long w/ a male...he will literally "romance" her to death...you need a minimum of 2, and 3 females per male is better, so that while one is "entertaining his reproductive glee", the other(s) can eat and rest. Or keep the male in a seperate enclosure, only putting them together for breeding, occ.

You really can't have too many females, otoh, as long as you have enough space in the enclosure...my 4 currently share an enclosure of 5' X 8' (barely adequate), and I'm building one for them of 8' X 16", as time/materials permits.

Really so I should get two females at least ? That's crazy there randy little guys aren't they.. Must say they are an elegant creature I've fallen in love with my little lady she's only a baby still tho cant wait to watch her grow.. Im sure to get plenty more Hermanns... Im looking to.build an enclosure for her to run. Around in

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas

jaywilson91 said:
Terry Allan Hall said:
Looks to be a female...

Really so I should get two females at least ? That's crazy there randy little guys aren't they.. Must say they are an elegant creature I've fallen in love with my little lady she's only a baby still tho cant wait to watch her grow.. Im sure to get plenty more Hermanns... Im looking to.build an enclosure for her to run. Around in

Yes, if you going to have a "co-ed" set-up, at least two females to one male...I have three females and Ptolemy pesters all of them about equally. I hope to get three more females in the near future...and he'll pester them, as well...

"Randy" is putting it mildly! :rolleyes:

Learn from my (building) mistake, though...I built my enclosure for one tortoise (Jennifer), then decided to get more, and after studying on it, determined that I'd get two more females (Ophelia and Apollonia) and a male (Ptolemy), so, had I planned it better, I'd've built the enclosure 8' X 16', and made it easily expanded, for later, in the first place.

8' X 12', while not huge, is large enough for 3 or 4, and enough room to give you space to put in tunnels to explore, logs to climb over/around, an adequate sized "pool", a pile of dirt to dig into, an adequate sized "cave", and room for bushes and edible grasses and weeds...stuff European torts love.

And you have room for youngsters, when they come along. Really, it'd be hard to build an enclosure that's too big, as torts, and particularily males, like to wander around.

jaywilson91

5 Year Member
Dublin Ireland

Thanks for the help everyone :) I have found another female in my local pet shop so.im planning on.purchasing her and naming her indigo :) then I'll think.about getting a male for the future... Kaiser my lil girl I.have now is from Germany.she's my little princess she's an explorer at heart !!.. Ireland doesn't really.get the weather for out door enclosures so.planning on turning my spare room into one so she can run free round

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas

jaywilson91 said:
Thanks for the help everyone :) I have found another female in my local pet shop so.im planning on.purchasing her and naming her indigo :) then I'll think.about getting a male for the future... Kaiser my lil girl I.have now is from Germany.she's my little princess she's an explorer at heart !!.. Ireland doesn't really.get the weather for out door enclosures so.planning on turning my spare room into one so she can run free round

Well, even living indoors, let them get a little unfiltered sun anytime you can...even in the winter here, my 4 get a little sun most weeks, and it rare that there's not at least one day out of seven without a couple hours of 70F (21C) sunniness, even in January, and a few hours a week of real sun is enough for a week, at least as good as 10 hours a day under artificial lights. Obviously, being outside in the summer, they'll get much more sun and that good'll build up inside them.

BTW, the female equivalent of "Kaiser" is "Kaiserin", and female variations, according to my All-Knowing Daughter, are Qaisara, Cassara, Kasara, Casarah, Qaisarah, Casara, Kazaria, Kezra, Kazariah, Kisara, Kausar, Kosara, Cassarah, Czara, Kesare, Kosar, Caserra, Kasarah, Czar, Cazariah...just in case you want to feminize her name. :p

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona

Awww..you have a pretty little girl...

jaywilson91

5 Year Member
Dublin Ireland

mainey34 said:
Awww..you have a pretty little girl...

Thanks im so happy I know her sex now shes my.pretty little girl

Tracy Gould

5 Year Member
Pontefract West Yorkshire U,K

I agree it looks like a girl to me too, but i warn u most young torts look female till they get to near to been sexual mature around 5 years old my little tort looked female till around the time he started ramming me, then his tail started to grow to look male too, there is a way of sexing them by looking at the shape of the end of the shell near the tail but i am no good at it males look like a v females are more a long u shape, and I read if u look at the opening in the tail if it under the edge of the top shell its a girl if it is after the edge its a boy. I was lucky i picked a name that is ok for both his name tends to be female in England but is used by boys too in other countries, sorry if I have not helped but I got told my little guy was defo female and it turns out Shelby is a male x

jaywilson91

5 Year Member
Dublin Ireland

Is that Shelby in your picture he looks beautiful

Tracy Gould

5 Year Member
Pontefract West Yorkshire U,K

yep he is a proper little monkey he is so friendly and not shy he knows how to beg, which made his first wind down for his first brunation (hibernation) hell he can be stroppy sometimes and if he is in a mood will ram my hand lol

Status
Not open for further replies.