Just moved sulcata outside permanently... and he never leaves his hide :(

Clemsonturtle

Location (City and/or State)
Holly Springs, NC
Hi! We just built a new outdoor heated hide for our 2 year old sulcata (thanks Tom!) and moved him outside. He is 11” and weighs about 8 pounds. He has always loved the outdoors but in the last couple of days, he just sits in the corner of his hide box. If we put him outside, he walks around and then moves right back to his box. The first few days we moved him out, he did go outside, grazed all day and we had to put him in his box. Now he won’t leave it :(. We soaked him thinking he might be blocked (not the problem) but now he isn’t eating much either. Weather here has been rainy and 70 but his box is between 85-92 and 70% humidity. He has shade, a pool and lots of grass and hay if he would just come out. Am I worried for nothing? Will they go days without leaving their hide?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
It is to cold to leave the warmer hide. I wouldn't want to leave either.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Same thing happened with a young YF tortoise I put outside two weeks ago. But two days ago the food was gone and this a.m I actually saw him out and eating

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I think they get moody, New “location”, new house, crappy cold temperatures. Just staying put is their way of just digging in. I’m sure your Sully will get over it.... ours does this all the time when we transition from indoor to outdoor time.

Good luck.