Just playing possum, but not really

Status
Not open for further replies.

lovelyrosepetal

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oklahoma
I just had a freaky experience. I went to go look at the tortoises, you know, just checking up on them. They had been out today for a little over three hours, it was such a nice day, and they were a little bit tired, I think. So, I go to look in on them and there is a tortoise laying on its back. I see that two are in the humid hide and there is just one laying on its back. It's mine. I look closely and I swear it is dead and I am wondering, 'what am I going to do?' I wondered how I would tell my kids, now we will have just two and you know how sulcatas are in pairs so I am not sure what to think and all this and more is going through my mind in the time it takes to pick up the little thing and when I pick it up, it pulls its head inside its shell. I was so relieved. Apparently, it was trying to climb up the humid hide and fell. I have no idea how long it was lying there but I am so glad that it is okay. My heart finally started working again!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Did you then hear the three of them softly laughing? I swear some times they do that just to watch the expression on your face. Glad you found it, before it became something serious.

Long Island Greek

5 Year Member
Long Island New York
This same situation happens to me almost every week without fail, it's gotten to the point where I have had to create substrate ramps so my tort could without flipping ascend and descend his log easier. It is a very frightening experience especially when they aren't moving I am very glad though that he/she was fine.

lovelyrosepetal

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
You know Jacqui, I thought that I heard the sound of laughter in the background. It seems like they are always finding a reason to laugh at me.:) In all seriousness it looked to be just about as scared as I felt.
TortoiseBoy1999 Thanks, I am so glad that it is okay, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.